digital odometer & steering wheel stereo control issues

RED89GP2.8

I have an 89 GP SE with a digital dash. It has 172,700 on it (never been rebuilt either that I'm told). We just bought it about a month ago. The digital odometer likes to fade out...It will flash between saying "ERROR"

and reading "833945", as if it would ever make that many miles !! Sometimes it is just blank & doesn't say anything at all. This problem occurs during all types of situations, sometimes at start up it's blank & other times it seems to fade out when the car warms up.

Has anyone else encountered their GP doing something similar?

About the steering wheel stereo controls...sometimes I'm just driving along straight on the highway on my way to work in the AM and the SEEK, SCAN & TUNE buttons will stop working. It also happens sometimes when turning the steering wheel in the right direction. After shutting the car off & re-starting it, the controls work fine again. Again, anyone with any ideas, I'd be very interested to hear back from you.

This is only my winter vehicle and they are minor problems, still my interest is piqued...oh, and yes, it DOES still keep accurate track of the mileage...

Thanks for your help..

you can have someone remove the steering wheel and add di-electric grease to the metal tracks on the purple horn ring. It might get rid of the bad connection in the button controls.

The odometer falshing sounds like it could be the solder joints coming loose, or you might need a new Cluster.

GP clusters and Cutty clusters are totally different....

I know that..

I'm only showing so anyone can get started and an idea what might be done to an intermittent digital cluster problem.

Digital cluster have chips that get its solder loosen over time. Even though every car have different location or different type of chips, the procedure is very similar.