Straight-Piping 3100

grandprix104

I've read alot about removeing the catalytic convertor on many of the 3.1/3.4 etc but not sure if ive read anything about anyone doing it on a 3100. If anybody has done this with the 3100 could you answer a few questions for me. How much of a loss to low end torque did you experience? Did you experience any high-rpm speed/response increase? Was it worth it or would it be better to find a high flow one?

For any of you that have done this on any engine: Would it be ok to clamp a piece of pipe in (temporary 6-12 months), or should I go to the expence of welding it in? I'm wondering cause my cat is clogged and causing some bogging down of the engine and I wanted to know if it would be feasable to just remove it.

Thanks Guys

If you're just putting piping in place of the cat and leaving the stock muffler(s) in place, you probably won't be able to tell if you loose a minute amount of torque. The exhaust note is going to be a tad louder and you'll probably notice a slight increase of power on the highway.

EDIT: Only time I noticed any bogging down/huge loss of low-end torque on my 3.1 w/ no cat was when I ran with open downpipe just to see what it would do..it was slow as shit to 35mph and then had a lot more pickup, plus it was extremely loud(comparable to a log truck w/ no mufflers or something of that sort). :wink:

I got dual straight pipes on my 3.1L. I've notice there is decreased back pressure and less low end power. But they sound nice as hell. My car sounds almost like a V8 and I can turn heads when I revv it up. :D I'm going to redo my exhaust once I get my car rePainted, then I'm going with Flowmaster 40 series mufflers and maybe a hi-flow cat.

would it do any good to have 3 glass packs so that i don't lose to much backpressure i already have 2 to replace my mufflers nice sound would it do any good to replace the cat with one?????

I would put the glasspack in place of the cat (wish we could do this kinda stuff here in VA, you can't pay someone to take one off here...even if you remove it yourself, they insist one has to go back in the stock location or they lose their inspection license)...if you feel like it would still be too loud with just the one glasspack then add some resonator exhaust tips (like ANSA or Monza) they will tone it down a bit without losing all that rumble sound you want...I've installed those on a couple of my cars in the past ( they cut down on the popping and back-rapping when you get off the throttle as well)

I personally wouldn't waste the money for three mufflers. If I put one in place of the cat or the two at the back but I dont see the need for both...since they are a straight-thru design I dont see it hurting the performance much. I only had one glasspack on my Intrepid right behind the cat and it wasnt loud at all. (of course the cat was still there) but the guy at the exhaust shop started the car with the cat only and it was rather horsey to say the least, so I can't say the cat on that car was all that restrictive (it was a 95)

would i gain any power?

Just use two glasspacks, with one and nothing but piping, you're going to have a bit of torque loss at the expense of gaining a bit of power on the highway. Also, something you might consider is gutting your cat and having it welded back on just in case they start visual inspections where you live. Either that or keep the original cat and have flanges put where the cat is so you can run w/ a cat or with a piece of piping in it's place(doing this on all future cars I remove the cat from so I won't have to go through much hassle if we start having emissions).