Problem starting car Help!!

amoreno68

92 lumina 3.1 I have problems starting my car when it is hot or when it has sat for a while after driving it. In the morning when the engine is cold it always starts on the first turn of the key but after driving it for a bit I always have to turn the key 2 or 3 times before it will start. Sometimes it revs up pretty high. The idle feels good and there is no hesitation. While cleaning the TB and IAC I noticed that the air hose from the TB to the air filter box had some gas/oil mixture?? inside. any ideas? maybe a bad fuel regulator?

thanks.. armando

92 Lumina Euro 3.1

daily driver

255k miles..still running strong

Definately sounds like a Fuel Pressure Regulator diaphragm that has ruptured. Mine did exactly the same thing a few years ago until it got so bad that the car stalled while driving and wouldn't re-start.

The reason it re-starts after a while is because the gas has had time to evaporate and therefore stops the flooding and allows the engine to "breath"...

It's very simple to check...just pull the line off the regulator and see if there's gas inside...

Did you actually smell the fluid that you found inside the airbox??

If that does not help. It could be your Fuel Pump Relay that is failing. Try swapping the Fuel Pump Relay with your AC 2 fan relay. Some cars has two fan relay. If not just get a good working relay and swap it with your Fuel pump relay and see if that makes a difference.

Ya i am having the same problem with my car, but my fuel reg costs $180, and i have to finish fixing my sisters POS jetta before i can buy the reg, because my rents are giving me the money to by the reg for fixing her car. Its a pain in the ass. Anyway, when your car has been running and you shut it off, and go back to start it, push down on the gas, letting more air in to mix with the added fuel, it should start right up. Runs a bit rough for a few seconds, but otherwise itll start up.