console cover

2supreme

so today i broke off the lid for my center console on my '95 cutlass supreme and it was just because it was so cold out that it was fragile. the question is...how can i replace the lid for the center console and where can i find a new one? it has to be the tan interior color. thanks.

wow, that is weird, I did the same thing about 2 weeks ago but managed to fix mine. Well, I was trying to fix it when I broke it more. I was trying to epoxy the part of the hinge that was broken, but instead managed to break the whole thing off. Not sure the exact details of your breakage, but mine broke on the black piece that extends down toward the hinge inside the box (if you follow that). I drilled two holes through that and then 2 in the piece that is still connected to the box then put some long, thin bolts through them. It's not the best ever, but it holds it in place and will do until 1.) it gets warm enough for me to care and 2.) I find a replacement. Hope this may have helped in any way. Also, not sure if you can do this or not, but I don't think the top has to be tan, I think you can take the top cover off and change it, just because of all those screws in the bottom of the lid. Anybody else know if this is possible?

The armrest hinge of my 1995 cutlass supreme broke, too. Lousy design, especially if you go hunting in the junkyard and see all the other GM models with a real hinge and not a cheap piece of plastic. Take a close look if you do find one to make sure it's not about to break, too.

I found one guy on-line who said he had several armrests, he wanted $45 each. Dealer wanted $132 for a new armrest, and the GM online-parts guy wanted $110. http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=getLocator&siteid=688&chapter=DR1DC88&appSectionid=2648&groupid=3396&subgroupid=2650&componentid=4932&make=26&model=Cutlass%20supreme&year=1995&catalogid=2

I did a repair similar to Mizouse, I glued the hinge using an epoxy made for bonding plastic http://www.powerpoxy.com/productDetail.asp?productID=479 then put a small bracket on it to keep it together.

Good luck with this one. I think anyone who has this design will eventually be lookng for an armrest.

95_cutlass_armrest_hinge.jpg

hah! ive been looking for them for a few months now.

I like that idea for a quick fix...i think i may do the same, for now, and just keep an eye out. I was just going to epoxy the two ends, but that bolt idea looks a bit nicer too.

jon

Thats a common problem among these cars, what a poor design. I had went to the dealership to see how much it would cost, and I got a price of $145. My dad was actually gonna make the whole assembly out of steel for me once his hours went down, but the car is wrecked now, so theres no use for me to do that.