Starter getting hung up

Thabulldog

I got my starter replaced in July and once in a while when I start the car the starter will keep turning over even if the car is running. I can take the key out of the ignition and it'll still do it. It only stops if I turn the key to IGN and back a few times. What could be causing it.

I've never heard of that. It could be a problem with the cylinder you stick the key in. I think the ignition lock cylinder is a common thing to go on W-body's from what I've read. Just a shot in the dark.

probably what he said three times - go have it bench tested and/or replaced where you bought it. It sounds as if the solenoid is not releasing causing the starter to keep turning and stay engaged.

I had a similar problem where a starter would spin, but not engage the flywheel. I had to replace the starter even though it wasn't very old to begin with.

Since yours doesn't shut off when you remove the key, I'm quite certain it's a bad solenoid, but most auto parts stores only sell the starter as an assembly.

How hard is the starter to replace on the 3.1 in the Lumina? I sure as hell won't take it back to that same shop, besides the fact the warranty was up last month :(. I'm planning on doing it next month when it gets warmer out.