Trunk release NOT working?

gmrulz4u

Today I just noticed that my 89 Supremes trunk release button is not working. It was the last time I checked...but now it won't work.

Is there a fuse or something I should be looking at??

THANKS!:)

do your backup lights work??? i know it sounds weird there is a fuse on the panel under the hood on the passenger side labeled trunk release.. it also does ur back up lights....

If its not a fuse, then its probably the trunk release solenoid. Mine is bad and the only way I can get the trunk open is if I have my system pounding, or if I pound on the trunk lid while somone presses the button. I have my trunk lid shaved and the solenoid hasnt been working AT ALL lately, so Im really screwed if I cant get it open!!!

do your backup lights work??? i know it sounds weird there is a fuse on the panel under the hood on the passenger side labeled trunk release.. it also does ur back up lights....

Not weired at all, but some good info. The trunk release is wired into the neutral saftey switch, so that the trunk can't be opened while the car is in gear. The wiring for the reverse lights also goes through the switch. It's located on the transmission, also a good idea to check the switch connections.

When mine wouldn't work, it was the park/neutral switch out of adjustment. I needed to loosen it and move it a little. Trial & error got it right.

OK...so if my Reverse lights work fine, which they do, does that rule out the Park/Neutral Switch?

Oh yeah, sorry...

I meant if my Reverse Lights work, does that rule out the fuse.

And, if my Park/Neutral Switch was out of adjustment, wouldn't that cause my car not to start?

And, if my Park/Neutral Switch was out of adjustment, wouldn't that cause my car not to start?

No.

I've found that the switch can be WAY out of whack and it'll still start in Park.

The switch has to be adjusted just right... you have to make sure that the trunk will release in Park and Neutral, AND that the starter will still crank in Neutral.

Just a few tenths of a degree off, and maybe the trunk will work in Park, but not neutral, or vice versa, and the starter may or may not crank in Neutral. It's pretty much trial and error. I usually pull the interior ECM fuse (doesn't clear ECM memory, but prevents it from starting) and also remove the airbox so I can work on the switch. Then using trial and error, I move it a little one way, test the trunk & starter in P and N, and repeat until everything works.

and also remove the airbox so I can work on the switch

What?? I thought the Park/Neutral Switch was located inside the car, under the area where the PRND321 shifter is??