one amp or two

sniperi311

ive got two mtx thunder 800 15's. RMS is 500 watts and 1000 peak, 4 ohm single voice coil, i was wondering what amp or amps you guys would recommend for them, im not sure if i should do like 1 1000 watt or 1200 watt or 2 500 or 600 watt amps, could use some suggestions, and do you think it would be smart to get like a 500 watt amp and just run it in parellel or in series? cuz that drops it down to like 1 ohm doesnt it and thats not stable, not sure, could use some suggestions though, thanx

Well since you are looking at 2 4 ohm SVC you can run them parallel(i think) to get a 2 ohm load. Also definetly get 1 1000-1200 watt amp for them both. It'll cost less, save room and be more efficient putting out the power. As for suggestions on amps, go with a JL, alpine, rockford, ppi, Phoenix gold, Jbl etc. I've heard good things from the JBL 1200.1 and I think they go for around 350 on the net. stay away from sony and other crap.

if i got a 1000.1 or 1200.1 amp, wouldnt that be pushing 1000 or 1200 watts to each sub or would it actually split the watts up, cuz runing subs in parallel is kind of confusing on how the watts drops and the ohms drop, and i know to stay away from sony, the got shitty amps, and decks, my opinion that is, but im not gonna get starter

if you have 1200 watts running through 2 subs. each sub will see 600 watts each. For info on ohmsm read through this page http://www.the12volt.com It should give you a good understanding of the basics along with a forum specialized in car audio, and security. Also http://www.jlaudio.com has good tutorials on how to wire your subs. Hope that helps you out some!

well given the fact that you have 2-svc 4 ohm subs this makes the search a little more interesting. as you will need a single amp that does wanted power at 2 or 8 ohm, or a pair of amps that do wanted power at 4 ohms each.

check the above links for some good reading. also check out http://www.bcae1.com/

KISS is always good. that is the keep it simple stupid pholosophy.

so i would look for a single amp that puts out wanted power at 2 ohm.

most of the JL audio amps will do same power from 1-4 ohms. so that is a good choice, but not sure on price.

the JBL powervalve 1200.1 does same power at 1 and 2 ohm. only problems i have heard about that is that is is not the easiest to setup. as the gain and low pass filter pots are not easily marked or understood. but a low cost amp that produces great power. can be had at many places online for under 300. i have heard that sounddomain.com does price matching. soif you find a site with the same amp for less they will match the price.

mtx 8100d or the new version of that the 1501d do power at 2 ohms. 1000 watts at 12volts and 1500 at 14.4 volts.

others to look at but not sure on power at 2 ohms

crossfire, directed, dei, concept audio, orion, ample audio, MA Audio,

i am sure there are other but those hit my mind first

Monty

For sufficient power, i would go with the Hifonics Brutus 1500.1 mono. compared to the JBL 1200.1, the Brutus has a subsonic filter and is capable of more power than the JBL. Both are stable to 1 ohm, but 2ohms would probably be the best for a daily driver. In that case, the brutus will probably put out more power at 2 ohms do to its higher power rating. Both cost about the same if you do your shopping.

hope i helped!

josh

ive thought about getting that mtx 1501d, put i was talking to some people and its needs a lot of power to run that amp, im lookin at the jbl's right now, still not sure though , thanx for all the help

if the cost is not muc more for the 1501d i would take that over the jbl anyday of the week. in reality once you start making that much power you are going to need power to make power. simple law of physics.

with either amp and the stock electrical system you will be pushing it rather hard. so expect dimming lights if you push it hard frequently. also expect battery and alt to die prematurely.

want to play you gotta pay.

be sure to have the proper box for the subs to get the most from them.

Monty

another option would be the Earthquake PHD (1000w) or PHD2 (1500w). i'm a little out of the loop, so the model numbers and features may have changed a bit. the prices are decent, too.

good luck

think a 2 farad cap would help take some load off the alternator or not, not really sure if caps are even worth getting or not, ive heard they work, and ive heard they do...not sure though

think a 2 farad cap would help take some load off the alternator or not, not really sure if caps are even worth getting or not, ive heard they work, and ive heard they do...not sure though

Personally before getting a cap, i'd look at spending the money you save from a cap and getting a HO alternater and a yellow top if you think you really need it before you get a cap. Maybe a cap would work, but if it doesn't u r still out that money and still need to buy an alternater and/or yellow top!

Isn't the 140 amp alternator from like Iceberg or something like 140 bucks, not a bad investment to help prevent dead batteries. :idea:

I got a monster set up planned for the fall, 2000 bucks worth of equipment, Infintiy speakers all around with 6.5 inch Infinity component system 2 12 inch Infinity subs along with 3 amps: 200 watts for the component, 330 for the speakers and 300 watts for the subs along with a 1 farad digital cap with distribution block and a .5 farad cap for the component. I can't wait till I got the money but the wiring will definitely be fun :shock:

i think a cap is a good thing as long as they are used for solving minor power drains under heavy bass. expensive though, especially with no guarantee they will solve your problem

if your stock electrical cannot handle 1000 watts then you need to fix the electrical system.

plain and simple.

supposedly each farad of capacitance will support 1000watts.

my cutlass has a 1500watt daily system right now and i have never had any dimming lights or any problems. stock 100 amp alt and an acdelco platinum battery. solid grounds and upgraded where necessary. the batt to frame and the block to frame were upgraded to 1/0 wire and the batt to distro block in the trunk is 2/0 welders cable.

just make sure weak points are taken care of and you will not need a cap. the money for the cap could be spent on better things.

Monty