Erratic 3.1 idle...

Occasionally when i pull up to lights, my engine will idle newhere from 500 - 1000 RPM erratically. It has done this since i've owned the car, about 2 years now. O, and its a 93 3.1....neone got ne ideas???

- Drew

my car does the same thing, 93 cutlass supreme, i replaced the IAC and it just made the idle even more irratic, and yes i did an idle relearn, its weird, and its not giving any codes either....

yeah my car did that, it had 4 of the 6 fuel injectors were bad. also, i just got my IAC and throttle body cleaned and a new cat, and it barely ever does it anymore! once i get new plugs/wires, it should eliminate it all togther.

so whats the easiest way to check if you have bad injectors or not, or the cheapest way? mechanic or do it yourself, and if you changed them yourself was it that hard, or does anyone know how to do it

Does the car also idle really high when first cranking it up? If so, you might have a vacuum leak somewhere(could be bad intake manifold gaskets, cracked vacuum hoses,etc).

so whats the easiest way to check if you have bad injectors or not, or the cheapest way? mechanic or do it yourself, and if you changed them yourself was it that hard, or does anyone know how to do it

Didn't see this post when I replied above, the cheapest/easiest way to check them would be to check them yourself(you're going to have to remove the upper intake/plenum to get to them though) You can test them using a DMM(digital mutlimeter) using the resistance/ohm function on the meter, the injectors are supposed to operate at a certain resistance(I don't know the specifications off-hand, but I'll look them up for you if you think you can tackle this yourself. A lot of shops have scanners and tune-up scopes(oscilloscopes) that can rule out these problems without removing anything if you are going to take it into a shop.

my regal did that, it was the throttle position sensor, but mine eventually started to die at red lights, only when i would go to take off, talk about almost getting hit everytime i wanted to go, especially sucked if they wanted to race me lol

ive checked for vacuum leaks and couldnt find any, put a new iac and tps in, but when i change one or the other my idle get even more irratic... :roll: i have no idea what to do, prolly gonna check my injectors next i guess...anyone know what ohm they should be at or anything like that, or how to perform the test, any help would be appreciated