Bi-directional keys

GnatGoSplat

Just a thought I had...

Anyone know if GM makes an ignition lock cylinder that can directly replace one out of a W-body, but that accepts bi-directional keys? I'm talking about the keys that are cut on both edges and can go in either way.

Even though I use keyless entry, I wouldn't mind being able to use 1 bi-directional key in all keyholes.

I've never liked bi-directional keys. Our '96 Grand Am came with one. I looked at it and I was like "...Where's the other key?" I guess it's more convinient, but it's something I just can't catch onto.

You can always bypass the chip with some resistors.

My 1st car had bidirectional keys, I kind of missed that when I got my Cutlass. Only thing stupid about it was it being a Ford, it had 1 key for doors+ignition, but a separate key for the trunk. Although I thought that was better than the Cutlass where the doors and ignition use different keys. The new GM's are better, 1 key for everything. I think most imports are that way too. The old Saab I used to drive had 1 bidirectional key for everything if I remember correctly.

1 single bidirectional key that does everything is the best way, IMO.

Of course, even better is the electronic RF key thingie that the XLR and I think C6 Corvette uses.

I like them better much easier to just push it in and go, fords have been bi-directional since the early 60's, I also like Fords keypad which theyve had since the mid eighties

Some real old cars (pre 40's) had only one keyed door lock on the car, you lifted the other inside door handles to lock it and lock the doors then lock the one door with the key, I see new cars are going back to only having a drivers door keyhole which I find to be ghey and they only do it to save money and make more........I guess it aint so bad anymore tho since most new cars all come with a keyless entry fob.........The cars I noticed having the only drivers door key lock are new chryslers and dodges

I see new cars are going back to only having a drivers door keyhole which I find to be ghey and they only do it to save money and make more........I guess it aint so bad anymore tho since most new cars all come with a keyless entry fob.........The cars I noticed having the only drivers door key lock are new chryslers and dodges

My grandpa has just the one in the drivers door in his newer Windstar. Every time I go over there, all I hear him bitch about is that ONE single lock.. He says he HATES having to stand in the street and try get the key in the lock while cars are brushing past him. I see his point.. I've tried to talk him into keyless entry.. but I don't think he'd know what to do with it. I had to explain to him for half an hour what the [A/C] button did... still don't think he gets it :roll:

My GF's 01 Dakota, and her 03 Durango both had 1 key for all. Its really nice actually. I get a key fob and key to the truck...so it takes less room on my chain i guess.

Also....her truck has that one keyhole thing. I dont know if its cost cutting or what. When we first saw it...i thought it looked kinda funny. But, in most cases, many people that have keyless entrey never use the keys anyways!

Actualy....on my CS...if you put the key in any keyhole...its REALLY tight and smooth. Like new. Im sure keys have only been put in them like 15 times totall over the years

jon

I learned about the Fords having different keys for the doors/ignition and trunk. I started my moms Tbird up at work one time and let it run to heat up and locked the doors, tried what I thought was the door key and found out the hard way when I was locked out, and the keyless entry doesnt work with the car running.