Coolant Light

runt

Alright, so I'm driving home from school tonight and the low coolant light comes on. So I stop at a gas station to check things out, and there is no coolant pouring out of the engine, and there is are also no visible leaks. The car sat with the engine off for maybe 5 minutes, then I got back in and started to drive it home. About 10 minutes later it comes back on. This time I was close enough to home that I didn't bother with it. Well, I pull into my drive way, and the second that I do, it goes off! Now, my driveway is kind of on a slant, so could the coolant have moved or something? I am gonna let it sit tonite and top of the radiator tomorrow before I leave for class again, but does any one have any ideas of WTF could be causing this?

Thanks,

--Jeremy aka rUnt

the low coolant light on my regal will do that , it will come on and then go off and so on, check to see if you have low coolant also , if its cold theres a possibility that your coolant could be frozen, if its cold enough and the water/coolant mixture is incorrect. also it could have a small undetected leak that you were unaware about and that could be why you seen no coolant pouring out.....hope this helps

Alright, so I'm driving home from school tonight and the low coolant light comes on. So I stop at a gas station to check things out, and there is no coolant pouring out of the engine, and there is are also no visible leaks. The car sat with the engine off for maybe 5 minutes, then I got back in and started to drive it home. About 10 minutes later it comes back on. This time I was close enough to home that I didn't bother with it. Well, I pull into my drive way, and the second that I do, it goes off! Now, my driveway is kind of on a slant, so could the coolant have moved or something? I am gonna let it sit tonite and top of the radiator tomorrow before I leave for class again, but does any one have any ideas of WTF could be causing this?

Thanks,

--Jeremy aka rUnt

mine did this just after i got my car, 2 days later when the car was in the shed for all the time i checked the oil and it was white as hell, damn head gasket blew and i been having problems with engines in this car from then on :evil: .

check the level and check the oil in the morning but i really don't think it would be in the oil at all, most likely you need to clean your sensor or it have a small leak some place that you might not know of.

Alright, thanks for the input thus far.

About a year ago, I had a leak comming from somewhere and I put some Barr's Stop Leak w/ pellets in there, and it hasn't lost ANY, well till now. I did however, check the oil right after I made this post, and the oil looked good in the lines of that there was no white-ness to it. I am gonna put a little extra coolant in there tomorrow to be sure.

How would I go about cleaning the sensor??

--Jeremy

How would I go about cleaning the sensor??

--Jeremy

Take the metal clip off, and pull/twist it out. Then wash with water or soap to get the jello like coolant out.

Alright, but is the metal clip at which end of the radiator?

its facing the passanger fender on the side, below the pressure cap. might want to drain some coolant before you pull the sensor, if you dont want it leaking out on the drive.

I might just have to do that. Right now it seems ok. I drove to Dubois and the light didn't come on and I didn't add any coolant. But I did notice today that my resivor is kinda low. I won't be driving much this weekend so I'll probably take a look at it on sunday night if I get some time.

But I might take you up on that offer Red, if my crappy car skills don't work.

I'll keep you in mind Red! :D (not in a "strange" way either. :? ) But if it's anything like they are saying it's gonna be, I think it's gonna be cold. I think I'll add a little more fluid tomorrow in the AM before I leave for school and then go from there.

look arround and see if you see any acutall leaks to.

I just did this...bout a month ago. I didnt pay attention to my resiv. and it got so low. Come to find out...the water pump was leaking. Just look arround

That, and if it is..doesnt it smell GREAT!

jon

UPDATE: (not that it matters much :P )

I pulled the cap off of the radiator today, and it was dirty. I poured some more fluid in there, we'll see how it goes for now. There is also fluid in the overflow, so I'm thinking that just the sensor is dirty and needs cleaned. That will happen when it gets a little bit warmer out (now that I found it!). I was thinking about doing a flush and fill, but I put stop-leek in there last year, and it fixed the small leak that I did have so I don't want to take a chance and have it leak after a cleaning.

But thanks to everyone for the advise!

--Jeremy

I have an extra sensor laying here if cleaning yours doesn't fix it. This one worked when I pulled it.

I'll keep you in mind, I might try to clean it this week if we get the weather that they are calling for.