Removal of 3.1 mount on 3.4 motor...Oil Pan

Jon89le

I remember having a thread where someone mentioned this but i couldnt find it. For some reason the Service manual is saying to remove the rack&pinion and lower the cradle which im starting to realize is going to be kind of hard considering the most i can raise the car is a foot from ride height. While i was under there to tighten back up the downpipe-to-manifold bolts (Thank God for Chem lab goggles :lol: ) i saw that there really wasnt much in the way of the old 3.1 mount. Is there anything super critical around there? I was thinking about taking the one wire harness there out and carefully cut the mount off to replace the pan gasket which is leaking more than a damn old sink. Is there anything inside the 3.1 mount or is it hollow/empty? Thanks for any help.

I cut it off. All you got to do then is unbolt the clips holding the power steering cooler loop onto the frame and you can get the pan off without ever unbolting the subframe.

This may weaken the subframe a little in that one point, but I know the ASG 5.0 kit required doing the same thing.

http://www.brian89gp.com/misc/DOHCmounts.jpg

That power steering cooler loop you mentioned, where is it? Is it directly above the 3.1 mount or what? Im not too worried about it weakening being that the car isnt going to be seeing any track days any time soon. Its mainly a 6mile stationcar. I guess i could always weld a piece of metal there and form like a triangular shape there to make up for the lost strength? :?