Amp Question, rockford vs clarion

Bake82

Hey guys,

I'm looking at this Clarion amp http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?stk_code=claapx2012&store=&catid=303 and this rockford amp http://www.etronics.com/product.asp?stk_code=roc201s&store=&catid=303

It will be bridged to a 200 watt sub. Any opinions on these amps? I'd like to pick one of them up by wednesday at the latest.

Note I will be buying locally and can get them both at the same price, so price isn't an issue.

Thanks for your opinions!

depends on the use....is 200 watts the most power you can use.

Rockfords are underrated and have a lot of brute power

while

Clarions have better Sound Quality and are closer to the actual power rating

best bet

Subs=Fosgate

Highs=Clarion

the Clarion only puts out 100 watts bridged while the fosgate will actually put out around 250 or 275 watts...so you may want to take that into consideration

the clarion is rated 200 watts max!! you need to buy stereo equipment by rms ratings not max!!! so the clarion is less powerful then the fosgate

but the fosgate has a 200 watts rms rating...but if you need exactly 200 watts find a clarion rated at 200watts "RMS"

reason being...max output is what it can handle at a musical peak...which is hard to explain...RMS is the contiuous wattage put out by the amp...make sure to match it up with your speakers to...if your speakers say 300watts max...DO NOT buy a 300watt rms amp...but if your speakers say 300watts RMS or nominal...then a 300 watt rms amp would be perfect

depends on the use....is 200 watts the most power you can use.

Rockfords are underrated and have a lot of brute power

while

Clarions have better Sound Quality and are closer to the actual power rating

best bet

Subs=Fosgate

Highs=Clarion

the Clarion only puts out 100 watts bridged while the fosgate will actually put out around 250 or 275 watts...so you may want to take that into consideration

the clarion is rated 200 watts max!! you need to buy stereo equipment by rms ratings not max!!! so the clarion is less powerful then the fosgate

but the fosgate has a 200 watts rms rating...but if you need exactly 200 watts find a clarion rated at 200watts "RMS"

reason being...max output is what it can handle at a musical peak...which is hard to explain...RMS is the contiuous wattage put out by the amp...make sure to match it up with your speakers to...if your speakers say 300watts max...DO NOT buy a 300watt rms amp...but if your speakers say 300watts RMS or nominal...then a 300 watt rms amp would be perfect

here;

get the RF.

(rockford fosgate)

RF all the way!

My personal favorite when I competed in the car audio stuff was SOUNDSTREAM. I check the rubicon series out on Ebay whenever I remember. I had the Soundstream Rubicon 702...killer amp!

i would say it comes down to looks more than anything. you are looking at almost identical specs on the entry level amps from each company, so neither is really cutting edge.

you could try going to a high-end car audio store and see if they are getting rid of some demos, it's very likely because the consumer electronics show just happened and you will find a lot of places making space for new models. the demo amps rarely have a lot of time on them, and they will come with the full manufacturer warranty. you might find an awesome deal

may as well chime in here

not a RF fan at all

but would still get something other than clarion for an amp. head unit i would do clarion, but not amp.

when i got into car audio clarion amps was way high in price for what you got. mayb have changed in the last few years though.

Monty

Hey guys, thanks for opinions, I went ahead and got the RF one. The stat sheet says it puts out 275 rms @ 4 ohms, so it's got plenty of power for the sub, Thanks again for you thoughts on helpin me out!

ok to lay it out clear .. the difference between RMS and peak is that RMS is continuous load and peak is what it can handle if stuck by lightning........ basically its what you can give it for a split second not continuously

ok to lay it out clear .. the difference between RMS and peak is that RMS is continuous load and peak is what it can handle if stuck by lightning........ basically its what you can give it for a split second not continuously

Yes, I know that. I was looking at RMS. The clarion said it put out around 230 RMS, the other guy thought it was 200 peak. I knew it was ~200 RMS. Thanks tho for the explanation.