install new radio in 96 CS

godofthunder

Ok....as in my other thread....i got a new deck today.

IIRC, the dash just pops off, is this right? Or what do I have to do to install a deck in my car? No screws (just to remove the stereo?)

jon

another question....

my install kit also came with a flat, 1/2", and 1" faceplate.

I really want the flat...b/c the 1" looks ugly. Ill settle for the 1/2 if I need to.

Which one can I use....is it personal preference? Or is it depending on the application?

Id REALLY like to use the flat. But knowing my luck...ill need the 1", right? I dont see it done often, I usally see them sticking out so far...and thats one thing I hate about aftermarket installs...caus the decks stick out far on ugly brackets...

jon

yah...my GF's one in her truck also sticks out...about 3/4".

I just would like to use the flat one if possible. Then...maybe eventually...in the future...put a small Olds decal in the middle. I also think the flat one woudl give a sharper look.

jon

Mine sticks out a little because I bought a generic install kit. BTW the dash just pops off but you have to tilt the steering wheel all the way down to get the trim off. Also when putting in or taking out your stereo you will have to move your gear shifter (floor shift) down to first. When putting the dash piece back on make sure to line up the seal around the steering column. Oh yeah there are two bolts holding the stereo in.

but that plastic peice just pops all out? Any where that I shoudl start at on it? And what do i do...just use a flathead to pry it off the first time?

This is a gen. install kit too...well, actually called "Deluxe". I guess all I can do is push the stereo in, and see which face it needs.

jon

I usually start at the plastic around the radio area. The problem with the flat vs. the 1" is that out cars don't have that much room behind the radio. Therefore I don't see you getting away with the flat design. It doesn't look as bad as you think with the shifter being down there.

Mine popped off without a screwdriver but you may need one. If your kit has all those different tabs you may just have to try different ones to get it to fit. The kit I bought was only for 88-94 cutlasses so it doesn't look right.

mine fit in the dash without the unit sticking out at all, when the face is removed the unit is flush, just like the deck was designed to look...I can take pics tonight if you want...I bought a kit that will also allow for a 1/2 din equalizer to be mounted under the deck if I want....

Can you take pics of it?

Best buy ended up getting me the wrong wire harness and mounting kit. They said (and the book states) that Olds/Regals have diff radios. So...only a few select, and newer cars have it like this.

As far as the braket, it was the same. The only thing that sucked was i had to go over the river, 30 min drive, to get the other.

It has a little slot on the bottom, almost like another strorage compartment that you could put small things in.

The only thing I dont like....is that it doesnt sit perfectly. It sits flush....but along the edges, espc. below the stereo, there is a slight gap (you can really feel it though).

Im going to see if I can push it arround or anything more to get a tighter fit. It came with a black trim ring, that sat flush inside....but you could also use the one that came with your stereo (which i did). Im going to see if that makes a differece at all (i doubt it will....it still sits flush). Though, on the left side of the deck...its a little tighter fit (and more of the trim ring is covered) than on the right side.

jon

As for your wireharness, I get all of my stuff from Crutchfield and I have not had a problem from them yet. Thats where I got my mounting hardware and my wireharness, and the install went perfectly and the head unit does stick out, but not very far. Personally, i like the look of mine. Hopefully you'll be able to get it all straightened out.

Oh,,,and as for the unit sticking out a little bit, you might want to try to use an exacto knife and if you had a plastic ring that went around the head unit, kinda shave it off to help it fit inside of the dash panel. Thats what I did to mine to make it fit.

mine fit in the dash without the unit sticking out at all, when the face is removed the unit is flush, just like the deck was designed to look...I can take pics tonight if you want...I bought a kit that will also allow for a 1/2 din equalizer to be mounted under the deck if I want....

I took a look today a mine and its the same kit as you got. I put that little

plastic piece in the place where the EQ would go. Maybe the '94 and below cuttys have a problem with the aftermarket cd players sticking out?

I want to find something to cover up my hole, on my kit its actually another storage area. I want to put a peice of plastic in there...to lay it flat...and it woudl look smoother

jon

I was thinking tongiht of possbily shaving off a slight bit of plastic off the dask peice right there, rather than the trim ring, i think it would be less noticable. Ill also prob use my rotary tool, and just shave the area down slightly.

jon

here are a couple of pics, in the second one you can see that it is flush against the mounting kit with the face off like the kit is supposed to be, with the face it still doesn't stick out past the trim piece...you can see the solid piece of the kit that can be replaced with an equalizer, which I think that I will do when I get some subs...

.....I am really embarrassed at how dirty my car is right now :oops:

270861_77_full.jpg

270861_78_full.jpg

270861_79_full.jpg

is your trim ring really beat up?

Mine actually looks the same, but i have a storage compartment where that plastic is. I wish mine looked like that though. I wanted to put Oldsmobile down there...and switches for something eventually.

ok, and then on my side and botom, there is a slight gap, very minute, caus of the trim ring on there. Someone mentioned smoothing off the trim ring..i think im actually going to smooth off some of the dash peice (since...i figured the trim ring was just painted plastic, not all the way through).

I put the trim ring that came with the braket too...but it wouldnt let the face come down like it should. It did sit a bit tighter though.

and gosh i want your climate control! I Want one of those soo bad!

Jon

yeah, the trim ring is pretty fugly, if I keep the deck I need to touch it up with black paint, but it has been way to cold to do anything....

......I love the dual/digital climate control feature....

Question for you guys: Did you get the adapter for using your steering wheel controls also? Or is that not possible?

it can be done if you buy an adapter and a deck that has remote capabilities....I will go back to a stock deck soon though, because my temp. controls don't work either with the stock HU disconnected

what would you recomend...smoothing some of the dash peice there down some? or what?

Id do the trim ring...but i woudl think it would make it look funny. I guess not if its hidden, but if I use the deck in another car, id have to search for a new one...

any ideas

jon

my temp. controls don't work either with the stock HU disconnected

This is why I have been reluctant to put an aftermarket deck in. My stock CD player has never worked and it would be prohibitively expensive to fix it. The only logical thing would be to get a really nice sound deck at the same price, but then I lose my wheel controls which I have grown to love.

And I don't like the IR type either. I can't believe that nobody sells an adapter cable that would hard wire it.

my temp. controls don't work either with the stock HU disconnected

This is why I have been reluctant to put an aftermarket deck in. My stock CD player has never worked and it would be prohibitively expensive to fix it. The only logical thing would be to get a really nice sound deck at the same price, but then I lose my wheel controls which I have grown to love.

And I don't like the IR type either. I can't believe that nobody sells an adapter cable that would hard wire it.