Blue Box(Ignition/Headlight/Door Tone Generator)Question

1990 Lumina Euro Coupe

Here is an interesting question:

My 1991 Grand Prix has never had the alarm that usually comes on when you start it, or leave the key in or not fasten the seatbelt or leave the door open, you get the idea.

So I take the bottom part of the dash apart to solve the problem. It appears to be simple, the blue box is missing. We have always called them Blue Boxes because they are usually blue.

So today at the junkyard, I cannot find a Grand Prix around my year, but I found a 1991 Lumina. So I picked up the blue box while I was there.

I will not be able to work on it again until this weekend, so in the meantime I have a couple of questions if someone knows.

(1) Will it work?

(2) I wonder if there are different boxes with different tones for different makes(Chevy, Pontiac, etc.) I have never heard the chimes on my Grand Prix, and wonder if they all sound the same. (No big deal, just wondering.)

Has anyone ever swapped one from another vehicle? What kind of luck did you have?

All help welcomed!

They are all the same in tone and pinouts.

89-92 Cutlass/GP/Regal boxes have an additional 2 wire connector on them for VSS input and turn signal input... this gives an audible warning if you've left your turn signal on for something like 1.2 miles.

93 Cutlass/GP/Regal boxes adds more wires to the extra connector to give automatic locking (but not unlocking).

94-96 Cutlass/GP/Regal boxes adds automatic unlocking as well.

So I take the bottom part of the dash apart to solve the problem. It appears to be simple, the blue box is missing. We have always called them Blue Boxes because they are usually blue.

on the Fiero forum they have lovingly earned the official name of "blue dingie thingie" :D

Can I put in one of these? I have electric locks.. I have a 1990 Lumina Euro :) Blue Dingie thingies! lol :lol:

Can I put in one of these? I have electric locks.. I have a 1990 Lumina Euro :) Blue Dingie thingies! lol :lol:

Sure. I put one in my 89 Cutlass.

Since my Cutlass is an 89 with the turn signal warning, all I had to do was splice those wires onto the new connector. I then had to tap the other wires into the lock and unlock wires at the power lock relay. Another wire has to go to the ECM for Park/Neutral detection. I just ran the wire through the clutch pedal grommet next to my amp power wire. I think that's it.

93 Cutlass/GP/Regal boxes adds more wires to the extra connector to give automatic locking (but not unlocking).

Not to seal the thread or anything, but all I would have to is get a 94-96 box and put in the place of my 93 box to get automatic un-locking?

Not to seal the thread or anything, but all I would have to is get a 94-96 box and put in the place of my 93 box to get automatic un-locking?

why would you want your doors to automatically lock/unlock??? My car does it and I hate it.....

why would you want your doors to automatically lock/unlock??? My car does it and I hate it.....

My doors already lock. They just don't unlock. It doesn't bother me that they lock anymore since I'm used to it. It just bothers passengers when they try to get out.

Would this work on a 5speed? I might be getting a 5speed cutlass soon, and I would like to know what other stuff is there to add like this to etc....DIS, HUD, like what other cool things could i put in?

My doors already lock. They just don't unlock. It doesn't bother me that they lock anymore since I'm used to it. It just bothers passengers when they try to get out.

Got to it before I did. :D

This is great! Any grand prix 94-96? coolness! because there are 2 94 GPs there! lol.. Where is it located? I think its toward the right side.. Can someone elaborate? you GP owners?

cool.. which whire? Is it obvoius?

ORG-BLK (orange, black stripe). I just looked at my schematic and it's the only ORG-BLK wire going to the ECM so I think it will be pretty obvious.

Sort of. You'd need a 94-96 box AND run 1 wire to the power lock relay for the unlocking.

What can I say? Gadgets and automation fascinate me. Part of being a computer nerd I guess.

This is great! Any grand prix 94-96? coolness! because there are 2 94 GPs there! lol.. Where is it located? I think its toward the right side.. Can someone elaborate? you GP owners?

Any 94-96 GP, Regal, and Cutlass. In 94 GP, it's located in a really awful place... to the right of the steering column under the cluster in an almost impossible place to get to. In a 94 Cutlass, it's in the same place as 88-93 W-bodies. In 96 GP, ismellrealbad said it's in the same place as the 88-93. I don't know where it is in a 95. BTW, what ever happened to smelly? I haven't seen him around in awhile.

They are all the same in tone and pinouts.

89-92 Cutlass/GP/Regal boxes have an additional 2 wire connector on them for VSS input and turn signal input... this gives an audible warning if you've left your turn signal on for something like 1.2 miles.

Good Lord, Gnat, is there ANYTHING that you don't know about W's? :shock:

Thanks for the info! I opened the dash and found out that the box is missing. I plugged in the box out of a 1991 Lumina from a junkyard that the owner just gave me when I bought a set of 16" alloy wheels from the same car, with no results, so I'm going to pull the known working box out of the Lumina and plug it in just in case this box is bad also. It was free, so I can't complain. (Plus I got four 16" alloy wheels in great shape, all with good P255/75R15 Goodyear RS-A tires on them for $50.00. Is that a good deal? :wink: )

If this box does not work, where would be a good place to start checking to see what is going on?

Again, Thanks Gnat! You've been a great help!