turn signal problem

Guest TurboSedan

Guest TurboSedan

a couple nights ago my turn signals stopped working. i had to pull the turn signal lever towards me slightly so they would start blinking. this problem has happened before, and i fixed it by taking the steering wheel off, pulling the turn signal switch, prying it apart and cleaning the copper contacts off with CRC QD electrical connector cleaner (quick dry) and a clean rag.

i did all of that today and it worked fine, i even had the steering wheel and everything back together and verified that everything worked. until i started the car and went for a test drive. the turn signals didn't work at all even the 1st time i tried them. so i took everything back apart again, and the contact are clean and seem to be getting great contact. it just won't blink at all. the hazard flashers work just fine and the turn signal fuse is good. if i flip the turn signal either direction the green arrow in the cluster will just come on and stay on even if i pull the lever towards me slightly.

any ideas? fried turn signal switch or something else? did the QD cleaner mess something up? i've used it before to clean the turn signal switch and didn't have a problem. did starting the car have anything to do with it? i can't really drive the car right now since i'm afraid i'll get a ticket or get in an accident. any help much appreciated, thanks

joshua

I bet its your WIPER switch that needs your attention.

If your turn and wipers are on the same arm, the mechanical link for the turns runs from the arm THROUGH the wiper switch to the turn signal lever.

Open er up and try to run them with the steering wheel off and you will see what I mean. Wiper switch is not holding the link, is why you get signal when you hold it on.

Guest TurboSedan
I had to have the switched replaced in mine - when I'd push it either way the light would just stay on - I had to "manually" make them blink. It was simply worn out.

that's what i have to do right now and it's a pain in the ass. i have tried using the turn signal with the steering wheel removed, i even manually moved the switch itself and even pressed down on the copper contacts and the arrow just comes on and stays on. it will not flash at all.

where is the turn signal flasher? i know the hazard flasher is on the passenger side, beneath the fuse box area. i don't know what to think. i cleaned the contacts and put everything back together, and it worked fine...until i started the car up. :confused:

joshua

Guest Anonymous

The flasher is under the dash right beside the steering column. I'm pretty sure the one on the pass. side is for the turn signals though and the one by the column is for the hazard flashers. Also, check to make sure you don't have any bulbs burned out.

Guest TurboSedan

i was thinking the flasher was on the column somewhere too, but when i was looking for it earlier today i didn't see it anywhere :?: i know the hazard flasher is on the passenger side, i took the lower dash panel off and could feel/hear it working when i turned the hazards on.

where exactly on the column is the flasher and i'll look again. i appreciate the help everyone.

joshua

Guest TurboSedan

i did a search and found all the info i need. i swapped the hazard out for the turn signal flasher, and it works....sorta. it blinks now but i obviously need a new turn signal switch. the right seems fine now, but i have to hold the lever towards me slightly to make the left one work - which also makes the headlights flicker :roll: oh well at least i know exactly what the problem is now. thanks again

joshua

When we got our 2 door TGP you would have to pull the lever towards you to make the left turn signal stay on, but the right one would work find, and every once in a while the left one would work fine also. But now, about 10,000 miles later, you have to pull the lever towards you while the signals are on for either direction to make them work. I am assuming it is a common problem with these cars. I don't feel like messing with it, and it isn't a big deal to me, its just that you have to remember to do it, and try to not turn on the bright lights, because people get really pissed at night when you go to pass them and hit the turn signal and flash your bright lights.

Shawn

Soemtimes the switches get dirty and cleaning them with contact cleaner seems to work. Sometimes they just wear and need to be replaced. The flasher unit itself could be lose or faulty. The outside lights could be lose or faulty. If your turn signal comes on and then begins to flash real slow or could be a good indication that the alternator is about to go.

Ciao

I gotta get me some of that blinker fluid. But I gotta tell ya, Adjusting the brake fluid level hasn't done a thing for my screwed up brake lights. Maybe I need to pour some into the steering column.

My switch is going bad. I spliced the wires in the tail light area and got the brake lights to work for me through the winter.

My signal lights are like this:

Right side works fine.

Left side...With just the click down on the lever-I get rear signal lights working..no light flashing on the cluster or front signal.

If I tap the lever forward-the cluster and front start to work also.

As I turn left-the cluster and fronts fail and ....hopefully the rears continue to flash. Can't be sure as I haven't gotten a remote spectator to look for me.