Bought 4x6 speakers for 93 Lumina... don't fit!

aaron7

I got MB Quart DCD146 4x6 speakers for my girlfriend's 93 Lumina Euro... but they won't fit on the driver's side! They seem to be hitting the back of the gauge cluster or something.

What speakers do fit? Or, how can I get these to fit?

Don't the speakers go in the door? and not the dash?

Depends on the car. My Grand Prix has them in the dash, doors, and behind the back seats. Some had an 8-speaker system. Some only 4. Depends on your model.

Interesting, while I don't know the answere to your question, I do have one of my own, what size speakers are in the front doors of my 1995 grand prix, and what would be a good replacement with no mods to the door panel? my drivers side front speaker is toast.

i had a 88 buick regal custom (coupe) with the 6 speaker set up

gpracer:

your gpshould be 5 1/4 for the front

the 4x6 r the right size and should fit but im not familiar with the lumina so now im useless

what exactly is hitting? if they're like typical 4x6's, they probably have a bit of metal you can grind off the metal brackets. I had no problems fitting aftermarket 4x6's in the dash of my 93 grand prix.

The magnet is either too wide or too deep... it's hitting some white plastic box under it!

that sucks..I should have figured it was something like that. Just think to yourself "who needs this random white plastic box?" and rip it out! :wink:

lol I thought about pulling the gauge cluster and cutting a section of the white plastic casing off of it... but that's so much work! What about those Infinity or BA plate speakers... anyone have any experience with those?

I've got the infinity plate speakers in my 92 Regal. They really sound great, but I had to remove the mounting piece, and drill new mounting holes. Don't know what part of your magnet is hitting, but the offset of the large magnet on the Infinity might let it squeeze in there. They ARE wider than regular 4x6 speakers though

Yup, the magnet is probably too deep down. I had a bit of a prob putting my Polks in the dash when i did them because it seems to be resting on something. Plus the slope of our windshields dont make it very easy to work, especially on the drivers side.

I'll have to have Circuit City install them then :wink:

I know what you mean about the dash speaker screws! At first I couldn't figure out how to get a screwdriver in there... and I went to the hardware store to get some ideas and picked up a small wratchet with a phillips bit; works great!