TGPs

louielouie2000

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to welcome myself to the fold :) . My name is Louie, I'm 21, and have been a TGP fan since a kid. My uncle actually owned one from '93 until his death in '00. I learned how to drive in that car and everything... and have been totally enamored with these things ever since. I also saw the prototype TGP in Las Vegas about 3 years ago. Anyways, I've owned two non turbo GPs... a '94 coupe (my first car), and my current '96 coupe. Though I bought them in the spirit of my uncle's car, they leave me wanting for the real thing! I also own an '81 DeLorean... my lifetime dream car. I'd like to eventually own a TGP but have a few questions on them. I've never seen any performance info on them. What do they do 0-60 and the 1/4 mile? I remember my uncle's car would totally pin you to your seat and accelerated strongly until you got scared and let off the gas lol. I see there are performance upgrades, and it seems there is a pretty loyal following for the cars. Is there anyone in the Carolinas that works on or owns one of these? Thanks for putting up with my newbie BS 8) .

Thanks Dave! I found the link to this site from a TGP currently on eBay. I'm thinking about getting one since my current '96 GP is ready for replacement. My Mom wouldn't let me buy my uncle's TGP from him when I got my licence in '98, but now that I'm about to graduate from college she won't have much say in the matter ;-). His car was actually I grey interior... I had no idea until today that they were so sought after!

Regarding the prototype TGP in Vegas... it seems to me I remember the car only had 3 seats; one of the back seats was replaced with a fuel cell. Does my memory serve me correctly? I cannot believe no one has bought that car... especially for the price they're asking for it! It's not a heck of alot more than the asking prices I've seen for nice stock TGPs.

Good luck with ur quest on a TGP. There is a really nice one on ebay right now with really low miles. And welcome to the boards...i am sure u will find plenty of info on pretty much anything u need here. When the time comes for you to get a TGP, set a little cash aside because as soon as u get it u'll wanna get Jeff M's Chip...most likely a new crossover, and a new K&N Air Filter...With those three mods right there, u'll car will run much much better. Sorry to BS, welcome to the boards...its great to have yet another TGP LOVER! :lol: :D

Thanks for the welcome! I'm sure I'll buy all of those mods within a month of getting a TGP lol. I'm so excited that performance parts for the cars are so cheap and readily available! Performance parts for my DeLorean are few, EXPENSIVE, and your bang for buck ratio isn't so great.

I've been watching ebay for a while for a TGP... and really wish I could buy that low mileage on that's up right now. But I don't have the money right now... so it'll probably be 6 months or so. Rumor has it my parents are going to give me some money for a new(er) car for graduation... so I'll keep my fingers crossed 8) .

Speaking of the mods... with the Top Gun 160 chip, crossover pipe, and K&N breather and filter what kind of 0-60 improvements will I see? I'd really like to see the numbers get into the 5's eventually... but I know that's asking alot.

TGP STATS and INFO

Engine Description 3.1L 60 degree V6 Turbocharged

Horsepower (HP@RPM) 205@5200

Torque (ft-lbs@RPM) 225@2100

Top Speed 128 mph

Engine maximum speed 5500 rpm

Block Cast Iron

Heads Aluminum

Valves 12 (2-valves per cylinder, OHV)

Displacement 3.1L (3128cc, 191ci)

Cylinders 6, V formation, opposed 60 degrees

Bore 89mm (3.503")

Stroke 84mm (3.3122")

Compression Ratio 8.8:1

Fuel Management PFI (Port Fuel Injection). Electronic, controlled by ECM

Fuel Premium unleaded, 91 pump oct.

VIN code V

Usage 1989-90 Grand Prix Turbo, 90 STE Turbo

According to the supplementary manual in my STE from ASC, it only has 220ft.lbs. of torque. I know its not a big difference, but I don't know where everyone gets this 225 number, when ASC said it was 220.

TGP STATS and INFO

Engine Description 3.1L 60 degree V6 Turbocharged

Horsepower (HP@RPM) 205@5200

Torque (ft-lbs@RPM) 225@2100

Top Speed 128 mph

Engine maximum speed 5500 rpm

Block Cast Iron

Heads Aluminum

Valves 12 (2-valves per cylinder, OHV)

Displacement 3.1L (3128cc, 191ci)

Cylinders 6, V formation, opposed 60 degrees

Bore 89mm (3.503")

Stroke 84mm (3.3122")

Compression Ratio 8.8:1

Fuel Management PFI (Port Fuel Injection). Electronic, controlled by ECM

Fuel Premium unleaded, 91 pump oct.

VIN code V

Usage 1989-90 Grand Prix Turbo, 90 STE Turbo

According to the supplementary manual in my STE from ASC, it only has 220ft.lbs. of torque. I know its not a big difference, but I don't know where everyone gets this 225 number, when ASC said it was 220.

The ratings vary from place to place(due to different magazines and probably different numbers fed to each one..I see the same numbers for torque in a lot of places.. but sometimes listed @ different rpm's..etc...)

Welcome to the TGP world. There are some readily available upgrades and there are a few "garage tweaks" due to a lot of ingenius thinking on the parts of a lot of the people on the forums. As for 5 sec. 0-60 times, you might want to read the thread on the "TGP forums" that talks about 'lets take the turbo grand prix/LG5 to the next level'. Times like 13.5 and better in the 1/4mi and 6.0 and better for 0-60 are the exception with the TGP. There are some very good reasons for this that some of us may not want ot admit or to accept, but they are what they are. Due to the uniqueness of some of the designs and components in the TGP, times like you've mentioned will not come easy or cheap. In my opinion the most inadequate component of the whole car is the nearly unupgradeable garret T-25 turbo followed closely by the 4T60 transmission. The turbo seems as if it was never intended to be messed with due to the 5 bolt pattern going to the down pipe and the goofy placement of the o2 sensor. The thread I mentioned above will go way more in depth with these and other issues with our cars but in a much more positive way that I'm capable of right now.... I'm beginning the 2nd rebuild of my motor in less than one year due to an overheat this time(wife not paying attention when I told her to) and an all to familiar #10 cam lobe failure the first time. All this happened to a strictly maintenanced, 2 owner vehicle with less than 70,000 miles. I hope nobody shoots me for posting this but it made me feel better while I wait for the tow truck to bring my baby home tomorrow. So welcome to the world of the TGP. P.S.---#1If you ever have your motor apart add auxilliary oil to the #9 and #10 lobes out of the other bank oil galley; my cars oil was changed at less than 3,000 mi intervals and I still hurt the cam due to the late oiling on the back bank. #2Don't let your wife drive your car with even a tiny coolant leak, she'll forget to tell you when you leave that the low coolant light came on before she got home with your car. Good luck finding your dream car, Dale Malcolm Omaha, NE. got to be one of my longest posts, sorry

He's right...the turbos are very hard to mess with..but once u have ur car around 12-15 PSi...u are going to love how fast it spools up and how u have no lag time...u hit the pedal, and ur gone! :twisted:

My black 90 breaks the tires loose at anything under 25 mph and I don't even drive it on wet roads as it has broke the tires loose at 65 on the wet pavement... and No, the tires aren't bald, they are almost new (minus what I've left at the drag strips)!!!