car audio ideas

godofthunder

Ok...my 21 b-day is in a couple weeks...and im reall itching for some new speakers and a deck. To start off...my car has the premium sound...6 speakers, and Tape/CD. Is anything aftermarket going to sound beter than this? Im a rock/country person...and many of the things I listen to now sound actually really good in my car. But not enough punch at all.

I dont want anythign to flasshy. I do want to be able to upgrade it over time though. Ill need 5.25, tweeters, and 6x9, and a deck. I want a CD player of course...and wouldnt mind a resonably priced 1.5DIN. I want a amplified deck, I dont feel like having an Amp right now.

OK...heres the thing...i again dont want fancy. I like AWIA decks...but know Kenwood and Pioneer sound beter. No sony shit. I also want a deck that has an aux in if possible...so i can plug my MP3 player (this is one thing I really like about AWIA).

As for speakers....some of the component's look kinda expensive on crutchfeild. I think bust buy had some reasonable stuff. I was looking at getting speakers at best buy or so (with Gift card), and the deck online. What is a good idea?

Price wise...i only want to spend b/t 100-200 for the deck. As for speakers...I dont know. The components on crutchfield were a bit to $$ for me. THat...and they have that extra thing I dont know what is for with them. I wouldnt mind just buying a set of tweets and 5.25s. For those...the tweets (RF) are like $40 or something, and the 5.25s were like 70. To me thats reasonable.

Also...if possible...I think I want a remote. Just kinda cool.

Could some people give me some ideas?

Lastly....how much could I get for my CD/Tape? Im thinking with the money i get from that...i MAY add on a CD changer.

jon

I really like kenwood. When i got my ciera...i got their top of the line tape deck (dont know why...but it had AMAZING sound).

Out of those CD players...what would you choose in the 100-200 range?>

And what about speakers?

Also...what do yall think about AWIA? Are they bad? I like em....

jon

Another fan of kenwood here, mainly because they gave me a free Sirius tuner with my deck.

If you're looking for some "bump" but don't want to go with an amp and/or subs, I would recommend a good component set up front with passive crossovers inline, and some good 6x9s in the back.

If you don't want to pay a lot of $$, check e-bay. Lots of great deals on there from stores for speakers at around 1/2 price, cavet empator (sp?) FWIW, right now I'm running a set of Infinity Kappa 2-way 6x9's in my rear deck getting fed 50W RMS from an MTX amp. When I was tuning my system, and listening just to them, I was surprised at the 'bump' they put out. Best part, they were just $100.

Like you, I listen to mainly Country and Rock, and was more concerned with sound quality, but some accurate bass reproduction too. Right now I'm running Infinity Kappa 4x6" in the doors, and Kappa 6x9s in the rear deck, getting fed 50x4. I also have 2 10" subs in the trunk getting 225x1. I wanted components, but nobdy seems to make them in 4x6, but I was able to find Infinity tweeters by themselves, so should be installing those this week some time.

If you spend any ammount of time in your car on a regular or semi regular basis, I REALLY reccomend the sattelite radio. I find myself rarely using CD's anymore, there's just so much out there. It's really made a few long road trips go much easier. I managed my record of 5 1/2 hours straight through (non-stop, no refueling) in a Yukon with it a few months ago, and never got bored, could always find something new to listen too.

In my opinion, i have always love Boston Acoustics speakers. Every product they make is incredible, and will sound better then almost any product anyone else you know will have. Every room in my house that has some sort of audio, has Boston speakers, and soo does my car.

i would take serious look panasonic decks from their MXE series. they have very good prices and tons of features witha 2 year waranty

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-t7CF6nE809z/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=3&g=62700&I=133C5110&o=m&a=0&cc=01&avf=N

also, i would be very careful about using component speakers without an amp. it is very common to blow speakers when they do not have enough power and components take more than coaxials. it's kind of an all or nothing situation. huge risk of blowing the speakers with just the amp powering them

good luck

Now...what are those little boxes with the components? and does my current system have anything like that?

If im taking my route....would I just get a set of tweets (and bass blockers for them), and then 1 way 5.25? Or could I also get 2 way 5.25?

Then, yeah....im looking at decent 6x9. Again...is it ok to go multiple ways? Of kenwood and Pioneer speakers, which are better.

I dont mind ebay...and may use it to get a deck. But, as far as speakers...I just wanna get whats local. Its easier, and not that big of a gap.

jon

thats funnny! I didnt know that. We have never had any probs with any of the AWIA decks really. But many people I talk to, either the sound is shit from an xplode or it breaks!

im going to check out ebay for radios...but im kinda iffy. I dont want to spend that much on ebay to get shit.

I am buying my speakers from crutchfeild or bestbuy more than likley.

What about my previous question from above? Any ideas?

jon

Just looking through best buy...i found one i kinda like for 159.99...

its a kenwood kdc422. Looks pretty nice.

Now...as far as speakers, what should I do? Then have nice prices on kenwood 6x9s. THe only 5.25 they have are 2 ways though. Should I just go with this, and forget the tweeter? Or can I get a set of tweeters too...use bass blockers, and wire them in line with the 5.25?

Also...how much are simple Infiniti Kappas (read that they are really good too).

And this inline crossover...i read that it should only be used with an amp if i had components?

jon

That one looks kinda cool actually...but im still leaning towards the Kenwood i think

Now my thing is speakers though. Those infinitis are a bit outa my price range right now.

I think my main question right now is..what to do about tweeters and such? I dont know about using those crossovers and what not...what should I do?

jon

well

so many options out there to choose from nowadays.

in a nutshell you get what you pay for.

there are exceptions of course.

i am on my second kenwood head unit. the first one lasted for about 3 years then it would not do anything but play the cd that was inside it. that was a top of the line kenwood. then i went shopping and found an entry level kenwood Excelon for cheap. was the previous years demo that was being closed out. that has been in various cars of mine now for 4 years. works like a champ still.

Clarion, kenwood, pioneer would be my first choices for lower end head units. not necessarily in that order though.

aiwa and sony just do not interest me. well the high end sony does but that is another ball game there.

why would you want to plug your mp3 player into the head unit if you could get an mp3 capable one for cheap enough or even a few bux more than budget? remember you can fit a ton of mp3's onto a cdr. plus many will play cdrw's too so you can start over on the same cdrw.

i would take the time to hit local shops and check out what is out there. this time of year the new products are arriving or soon to arrive. so ya might come across a steal or see something that you might not have. plus sometimes they willl throw in install free on certain models. or if you buy speaks they will install all for free or discounted.

basically shop around.

as for speakers

i am not fond of rear speakers so i cannot help there at all.

as for front speaks if there is room then go for component speaks. the biggest that will fit even if a little modification is in order. usually the mods are only to the mounting surface which is behind the interior panel and not seen.

some componenet speaks allow you to mount the tweet as if it was a coax speaker. which is nice you get the better sound with the mounting restraints of coax.

the best way to buy speaks is if you can listen to them in person. that way you know if your ears like them or not.

always take your own music to listen to.

if possible make a return visit to listen to them installed in a car or truck. as they will sound different in vehicle as compared to on the sound board.

as your ears will tell you what you like.

of course listen to your wallet.

remember that head unit ratings are usually over inflated.

most 50x4 rated head units only put out 18x4 on a good day. of course if you do not mind distortion then they will give you a little more power.

just no way that head unit rated at 50x4 with a tuner and cd mechanism can put out the same power as that 50x4 amplifier.

some speakers can take amplification from external amps better than others. so keep that in mind when you buy and are thinking about upgrading at a later date.

a space saver on amps is a 4 channel amp that will run the front speakers off of 2 channels and the rear speakers off the other 2 channels. or bridge the other 2 channels to a sub.

hope this helps a little

Monty

i have no idea on how old they r since my self bought them used but they do pound the bass good for a 3 way 6x9 and the treb was good 2 i bought these just as a quick fix for my stock speakers being blown untill i got the 2 way 6x9 i got laying around 2 but keeping

I think im going to BB today to see if they have that KDC 422. Im also going to call around.

I think im going to stay with stock speakers for now. After that, im leaning more towards Pioneer.

jon

KDC-422 is $159.99 at BB.

Lots cheaper on Ebay at $112 and $113 Buy It Now.

I don't know why Kenwood always insists on using those gaudy fugly bumpy chrome knobs. I have always avoided Kenwood because I just can't get past how tacky those knobs look. My parents had an old 70's clock radio with a knob that looked just like that. Well, that and their displays are ugly too. I guess it's still less gaudy than the Sony Xplod crap. Maybe.

Oh yeah, I also HIGHLY recommend one that plays MP3's.

It's just like having a CD-changer, without needing to install a real changer.

Once you've tried it, you'll never go back.

Eclipse is really badass. I went a caraudio store and said what is the best 6x9 for the bass and the said eclipse. Those are so nice. People have actually asked me if I have an 8 or 10 in the trunk! I do have my decklid dynomatte and the rear dash where the speakers are too. But really these speakers are so great. Awesome all around sound and definitely the best bass I have heard from a 6x9. Why they are not advertised and in a lot of stores like kenwood, pioneer, etc. I have no idea cause they make great products.

I saw the ones for 112 on ebay...but many had $$ for shipping...which would put it pretty darn close.

IM going to see what the local BB has. For some reason, the site isnt recognizing that one. I want to see if they can order, or have, that kdc.

jon