Problem with rpm tach

matts93z34

The other day it rained real bad and the streets were flooded. I went trough a real deep puddle and was happy that the car didnt stall out. When i got home my engine bay was wet and muddy so i cleaned it up. I went to start the car and my rpm tach was working i stepped on the gas and the tach went up to 2500 and then dropped all of a sudden. The car was still running and driveable. I drove over a speed bump and the tach came back and was working fine. Now it does it occassionaly and then comes back. One of my friends said to check the wires in the distributer. Has anyone had this happen to them or knows what is wrong. Any info would be great.

check the tac wire. your car doesn't have a distribuator. the tac wire goes to the icm in the front of the motor. I think its the white and black wire. or was it white and pink. Its white and somthing.

See this is where i run into a problem. I have the ASG 5.0 engine in my car and that motor has a distibuator cap and under the cap there is two wires that run off it. I will try to find a wiring diagram for the motor and see what wire it is for the caddy motor.

Mine does that sometimes If I leave it out in the cold for a long time. I just give the top of my dash a solid whack and the tach starts working again. :lol:

Lately its been sub zero (just about 3 weeks now) and every morning when i start my truck (yes my 86 starts right up every morning) my speedomiter is all over my dash board, it will go from 25-85, and i don't gain any physical speed, eventually when my truck warms up, the prob goes away.

as for the real problem on your tach, i would def. check all the cables, it could have popped off, or loose, or some-thing that simple.