Car wont stay running

Zoomina34

This started happening just under a month ago... In the morning before work my car always starts and idles fine, mkaes it there without problems. Whenever possible i park my car in the one of the wash bays at work where it's safe from the cold and stupid drivers and assholes who swing open doors and dent my car. It happens way too often. When i go to start it at the end of the day it wont. Just keeps turning over till i give it some gas, then it starts, barely. It spits out some smoke, doesnt look or smell like burning oil, it's white i guess. Then it sputters and bogs down till it dies. If i give it gas it will stay running but does not really respond to the throttle. For example i'll give it like half throttle and it will barely be running. About a week ago when i started it it was idling really high and threw code 35 (IAC). It did this 2 days in a row but hasnt since. Once it reaches operating temp it idles ok and stays running, that is until the fans kick on and it dies, but it always dies when they turn on.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm thinking it might have to do with all the moisture in the wash bays. I also question the IAC, but since it hasnt thrown a code recently i dont think thats it. I was also wondering about the catalytic converter. Could a plugged up cat cause this?

PS: I'm gonna finally take some pics of my car and let you guys check it out. Can anyone host them for me?

Well, there are some issues with your car, but all the details you can don't pin-point to one specific problem.

* White-smoke = coolant burning, possible intake / head gasket failure.

* High cold-engine idle = cracked intake manifold gasket (chronic LQ1 W-Body issue).

* DTC #35 = ECM throws code since the IAC is maxed out and the idle does not return to factory 'value'.

As for not running after work... it's hard to say... Any other codes thrown?

It's not a cat since if was clogged it would poor or not start all the time.

- Erik

No other codes, thats the only time the light has come on ever. So i should be checking for bubbles in the rad? So Maybe when the gasket gets hot it expands and seals itself causing it to run better?

No other codes, thats the only time the light has come on ever. So i should be checking for bubbles in the rad? So Maybe when the gasket gets hot it expands and seals itself causing it to run better?

The metal on your engine will expand sealing the gasket, not the gasket sealing. My car sometimes has sort of the same trouble, after running for a while, i shut it off to get gas for example, and when i go back to start it it wont start. I have to give it gas, i have it figured out that its probably the fuel pressure reg, but when my car sits over night it starts up fine in the am. If it dies when the fan comes on could it be the alt? I am assuming your battery stays charged.

My friends buick century with the series 1 3800 had alot of the same problems you are describing. We never did figure out what was wrong with it, unfourtunatly when it decided to start acting like that we were in Duluth on spring break, 200-300miles from home...i think. The coolant light was on in his car too so i am assuming it was overheating or something. Left us stranded an hr north of the twin cities at 5am. Not sure what else to tell ya.

same thing im going through...I replaced the IAC, MAP, coils, ign. module, and now i have an ECM that i am gonna replace to see if that takes care of the prob...been witout my car for about 2 months now :-( :-( :-(

I'm starting to think it might be a fuel problem. A leaky injector maybe?Once in a while i can smell gas on startup, sometimes even when i dont touch the pedal. The injectors also have an obvious tick. Anyone know a few things i can do to test the fuel system?

As for the stalling when the fans turn on, i dont think it's caused by the alternator. It has done this ever since i bought the car about a year ago and i had the alternator replaced about 15 000km ago. I'm gonna go ahead and replace the battery when my wallet permits. First i need a new door handle, the second one in maybe a month. Went to open my door this morning and snap! Oh well, not a big deal i'll just open the passenger door. Nope, wont open. It does this once in awhile when it gets really cold. I'm pretty sure it's beacause my doors sag. So i'm locked out of my car till it gets warmer however long that will be. This -35 wheather is destroying my car! I hate it!

A couple more things i've noticed with my car, not sure if they have anything to do with these problems i'm having or not, but maybe someone can relate. First, when in park or at low rpms if i press the brake or use power windows the lights dim and rpms drop, almost stalling sometimes.

Second i've noticed that if i give a very quick tap on the throttle the rpms drop , and it almost stalls.