Brakes/Rotors freezing together?

supreme_style21

Hopefully others have heard of this.. I've never heard of it/experienced it until yesterday/today. We got a buttload of snow. After my car is parked for awhile, and you come to leave, you go nowhere.. like having your Ebrake on.. then suddenly it'll make a loud crack and you'll move, but the braking power is next to nothing. I thought it was just my car at first, but then it happened to a friend's Cutlass Supreme and her buddy's Lumina. This morning, some friends were leaving my place in their Accord and they couldn't move. We then had a 4x4 Explorer hook up and pull on it. The car wouldn't move.. after a few tugs, it started sliding, but the wheels weren't turning. Kept pulling it down the street and finally the front wheels broke free, then the rear. I had no idea they could freeze up that tight! A few have told me the pads and rotors freeze together.. whats the deal?

Yeah, it's an issue since the tolerance between the pads / rotors are extremely close. Remember friction from the brakes cause heat; when parked you'll met the snow around the wheel and it fall in between the pads / rotors. And when the temp drop below freezing, it'll solidify the water to ice and *presto* you've got a stuck wheel. Also wheel bearings can freeze up the same way...

- Erik

Yeah, it's an issue since the tolerance between the pads / rotors are extremely close. Remember friction from the brakes cause heat; when parked you'll met the snow around the wheel and it fall in between the pads / rotors. And when the temp drop below freezing, it'll solidify the water to ice and *presto* you've got a stuck wheel. Also wheel bearings can freeze up the same way...

- Erik

Well yeah that theory makes sense.. I just could not believe how SOLID they froze up! We had to pull his Accord over half a block before the wheels broke free. I didn't think I was gonna make it out of my parking spot today.. the car just sat there and whined.. I had the thing almost pinned to the floor and she just growled at me.. didn't move an inch.