Simple Green Safe?

Jon89le

Yea, i just PMed you about this :lol: I was thinking about using the Top Engine stuff from GM. Ive got two spray cans here. I was just going to spray down the outside of the cam carrier and whole head with that stuff. Think that would work? I dont have a can of some cheap carb cleaner here that i dont think will be as effective...

Jon,

I do not know about using the TEC has a PARTS CLEANER, Unless you use the TEC as per instructions. If you are cleaning parts out of the engine on a bench... maybe it's best to use parts cleaner for that purpose?

How would i wash it off then? The parts cleaner.

YES the parts cleaner would be better suited for that task Jon. Dammmed I am really pissed about not having AIM anymore... I've got MSN but not alot of people use it. :cry:

So just spray everything on the heads with carb cleaner and then wipe and let the excess air dry? Wont that leave a residue? I would just like to get the bulk off, esp the damn white coating on the valves and such.

So just spray everything on the heads with carb cleaner and then wipe and let the excess air dry? Wont that leave a residue? I would just like to get the bulk off, esp the damn white coating on the valves and such.

Just wipe it dry, i never used carb cleaner, unless that is the same stuff that is in the 5 gallon parts cleaners at school.

Jon,

LOl I can download it... I've had it for a long time.. BUT the program is somehow screwed up on my computer.. I'm not sure what the problem is, but erevy time I start it up, it ok until I try to chat withan IM.. the second I hit the send button the computer shuts down and goes off!!! WTF!!!

DO NOT, repeat DO NOT use simple green on an aluminum engine. In fact don't use any cleaner thats harshly alkaline (as in anything that contains Sodium Hydroxide or another strong base such as Ammonia) on any aluminum parts. You may not be able to see the damage, but the base will eat away at the aluminum parts and you could badly damage whatever your cleaning. If you want proof of the reativity poor some Draino on a piece of aluminum foil (the reaction may take a minute to start going, but it will work) its a glorified example of what your doing to your engine.

WhiteOut,

I don't know where you are getting your infor on Simple Green, but I use Simple Green Automotive...It is Non-Toxic, Bio-degradable, Non-Flammable and Ammonia Free......

I have seen caustic chemical cleaners and what they can do to Aluminum parts, wheels etc.. And Simple Green Automotive will not harm aluminum surfaces if done right.

Aluminum - Is it safe to use Simple Green on aluminum?

Simple Green products have been successfully and safely used on aircraft, automotive, industrial and consumer aluminum items for over 20 years. However, caution and common sense must be used: Aluminum is a soft metal that easily corrodes with unprotected exposure to water. The aqueous-base and alkalinity of Simple Green or Crystal Simple Green can accelerate the corrosion process. Therefore, contact times of All Purpose Simple Green and Crystal Simple Green with unprotected or unpainted aluminum surfaces should be kept as brief as the job will allow - never for more than 10 minutes. Large cleaning jobs should be conducted in smaller-area stages to achieve lower contact time. Rinsing after cleaning should always be extremely thorough - paying special attention to flush out cracks and crevices to remove all Simple Green/Crystal Simple Green residues. Unfinished, uncoated or unpainted aluminum cleaned with Simple Green products should receive some sort of protectant after cleaning to prevent oxidation.

The ONLY active ingredient of Simple Green Automotive with estabilshed exposure limits is undulited 2- butoxyethanol. A Butyl Cellosolve (<6%)

The OSHA PEL and ACGIH TLV is 25ppm on skin. Upon completion of the manufacturing process, Simple Green Automotive Cleaner does not possess the occupational health risk associated with exposure to UNDILUITED Bytyl Cellosolve.

You are correct Jon...

That is why I always stress the fact of misting the Simple Green with water on a warm engine, to revent simple Green from drying on the surfaces while soaking. prior to rinsing off. It help the chemicals work better.

WhiteOut,

I don't know where you are getting your infor on Simple Green, but I use Simple Green Automotive...It is Non-Toxic, Bio-degradable, Non-Flammable and Ammonia Free......

I have seen caustic chemical cleaners and what they can do to Aluminum parts, wheels etc.. And Simple Green Automotive will not harm aluminum surfaces if done right.

Aluminum - Is it safe to use Simple Green on aluminum?

Simple Green products have been successfully and safely used on aircraft, automotive, industrial and consumer aluminum items for over 20 years. However, caution and common sense must be used: Aluminum is a soft metal that easily corrodes with unprotected exposure to water. The aqueous-base and alkalinity of Simple Green or Crystal Simple Green can accelerate the corrosion process. Therefore, contact times of All Purpose Simple Green and Crystal Simple Green with unprotected or unpainted aluminum surfaces should be kept as brief as the job will allow - never for more than 10 minutes. Large cleaning jobs should be conducted in smaller-area stages to achieve lower contact time. Rinsing after cleaning should always be extremely thorough - paying special attention to flush out cracks and crevices to remove all Simple Green/Crystal Simple Green residues. Unfinished, uncoated or unpainted aluminum cleaned with Simple Green products should receive some sort of protectant after cleaning to prevent oxidation.

The ONLY active ingredient of Simple Green Automotive with estabilshed exposure limits is undulited 2- butoxyethanol. A Butyl Cellosolve (<6%)

The OSHA PEL and ACGIH TLV is 25ppm on skin. Upon completion of the manufacturing process, Simple Green Automotive Cleaner does not possess the occupational health risk associated with exposure to UNDILUITED Bytyl Cellosolve.

Hmm...last I head simple green contained sodium hydroxide. Maybe I'm thinking of a differant cleaner. But anyways, the point is don't use any harshly alkaline products on aluminum, you won't like what it does.

It could be "Wesley's Bleach White" :idea: you are thinking of. I have seen that stuff corrode and eat up aluminum. It happend to me and the first set of aftermarket wheels I ever owned back in '86. God!!! You have got to be real careful with that Bleach White stuff :!: :!: :(