Dead battery problem [s].....

oldslover

My Olds Cutlass had a dead battery last month. it would start with a jump and charge up but the charge would not last long, overnight to a day at most before totally dead. The WalMart battery warranty ran out in 10 days so they did an even exchange after determining it had a dead cell.

All was great, I started it a few days after the new battery and it was fine, even as much as a week at a time and all was well. Yesterday, after sitting over a week or so's time [in storge currently] I stopped by to crank it and it was dead. I used my quick starter and it fired right up so I let it run for 15 minutes or so while I did other things while I was there. I restarted it after and it was fine.

Today I had to go back to where it's stored to get something so I tried to start it but it was nearly dead [interior lights/clock etc... on but it would not crank]. There's never been a problem before and there's nothing on draining the battery so I'm wondering if there's a problem with Wally Worlds batteries?

It seems funny how the first month post battery replacement all was fine up to a week or more at a time but now it's back to going dead overnight.

I hate electricals, always have so can anyone offer advice? I've sued the WalMart batteries in may vehicles including my riding mower and this is the first I've ever had a problem. I feel you can't beat getting 2-3 years out of a $30 battery versus what Interstate, etc... want at $80+.

Thanks for the help on my other posts and this one. It seems every time I question something, everything else comes up LOL!

i dont know about wally world batts but never buy interstate - they suck big time and last a shorter period than any other batt. excide is decent but they have problems too (just like any product) It sounds too me like something is shorting and draining the battery. if you are storing the vehicle remove the clamps from the battery it will last longer. I would check all your main connections and hope the problem lies there, if not, then on to the accessory electrics :?

I think it's the cars' way of cussing your ass out for having it in storage and not out driving everyday, basically says "fuck you asshole I wanna go burn the road up and shit on some ricers fool!" j/k :lol:

cutsup1996: LOL!

Well, I found this site and came here for advice months ago. I was going to sell it then decided to have it freshened up/re-painted but the painter decided to pack up shop on me. So, I again thought of selling it and dealt with 'local yocals', one even posted the car on here [so he said anyway ~ never saw the post] while I still owned it trying to make a buck I guess. I finally decided to just keep it and wait until Spring so I drove it to one of my rental properties garages where it now resides until Spring when I will make a decision. Being a rare 5 speed International I think I'll hang onto it :)

I honestly think it's a bad battery, the guy at Wally World even said this type battery has had many returns for problems. I know of no electrical problems and it did last for weeks before presenting this identical problem as the old one [last one lasted almost 2 years though]. I could be wrong, I have been before [so my wife says anyway] so I guess I'll take it out and have Wally World test it and if no problem is found then I'll take it somewhere for an electrical system test.

I'm cleaning the engine compartment of my wife's 1992 Olds Achieva SC tomorrow per my other thread and I hope all goes well :)

Wish me luck!

THANKS!