Low Coolant Light on, engine running really hot...need help

Cornerdealy

I noticed that the low coolant light was on my 96 GP SE and the engine was running really hot (the temp gauge was in the red). I checked my coolant resevoir tank and i seemed that it was a little low, so I added more and let it run for a while, but it's still running really hot and the low coolant light is still on.

Anyone know what the problem could be? I just bought this car, and I haven't had a chance yet to take it to a shop to get it all looked over and give it a tune up yet or anything because the weather has been so crappy here in NY.

you're low on coolant. When it cools down considerably it should suck the coolant in from the overflow. Let it cool down. Start car. Is light still on? if yes then check in the COOL radiator.

Instead of just adding to the overflow tank, fill your radiator. That's where the sensor is. It takes a long time for the coolant to make it's way from the overflow to the rad, it's more to contain excess coolant.

ok, i'm letting the car cool down and i will check tommorow morning to see if the coolant from the resevoir went into the radiator.

Now if that doesn't work, can someone please help me with the following things:

Since i'm a n00b to W-bodies, can someone tell me how to bleed the system (as detailed as possible, once again, i'm not that knowledged in cars, but i'm willing to learn)

And also, can someone tell me where the thermostat is and how to check if it is bad or not.

i wouldnt run hose water through it. id use strictly distilled water. there is a reason you use it with your anti-freeze in the first place. the way i flush a radiator is:

drain it. fill it with distilled water. run it to warm. drain it. just using the water to break sludge and crap off...the heat from running helps. repeating that process a couple times will lead you to much better looking water coming out of the radiator. then...put new stuff in.

ok, update

I went this morning to check on the car again, i started it up, the light is still on.

So i turn it off and decide to open up the radiator cap to see what the level is. I open it up and notice that there is no coolant in there whatsoever, so I open the bleeder valves and i pour in some coolant into the radiator, well just as a poured it in, it started to come out in a few places, so i have a leak. The only weird thing is that the coolant level in the overflow tank is still at the same level it was when i poured more coolant in yesterday.

So as I'm closing everything up, I'm putting one of the bleeder screws back in with a wrence and i guess i pulled a little too strong, and the head broke right off, leaving the body of the screw in the bleeder valve. Is that a big problem? Is it easy to replace? I won't be able to remove the body of the screw because it is in there totally.

breaking off screw heads sucks balls! Is there a way you can get needle nose or a good set of vise grips on the damaged screw? I've never messed with the bleeder valves so I'm unsure on what they look like. When we break the heads off of screws at my job we have to work on them from the inside where the threads are. Best of luck

Where did it come out of? The radiator? If so then the seals are bad, I went through 5 radiators in as many days because of the shop I went to using cheap parts. Finally they put in the Delco and it's been fine since.

So as I'm closing everything up, I'm putting one of the bleeder screws back in with a wrence and i guess i pulled a little too strong, and the head broke right off, leaving the body of the screw in the bleeder valve. Is that a big problem? Is it easy to replace? I won't be able to remove the body of the screw because it is in there totally.

Assuming they are the same valves as the 3.4, then there should be the screw you turn, which is screwed into a fitting, this fitting should be able to come out with a wrench from the pipe. I broke mine and was flipping out until I realized all I needed to do was change the entire fitting.

yeah, i realized that, so i'll just replace the whole thing.

I assume they'll sell them in an auto parts store.

As for the leak, I'm thinking it might just be one of the hoses that are by the radiatior cap, so it isn't the actual radiator that is leaking.

ok, one last update, took it to the mechanic this morning, turns out that the sensor that reads how much coolant is in there had popped out and all the coolant leaked out with it. They popped the sensor back in and refilled the coolant, and it's running like new again.

$18 for the coolant

$45 for the service.

i lived on the other side of the island. right off richmond ave coming from ur direction it was a bit before the dump and one street just before that newish lookin diner i even think its 24hrs. barlo i think its called