switching to console shifter

Major_Tom

I have a 96 SE grandprix that I would like to switch over to a console shifter, from a collumn shifter.

How do I do this?

What parts will I need?

I already have bucket seats, and a console, I just need to put the actual shift lever in, and run the cables.

How hard is it to connect them to the tranny?

How do I take the old shifter out of the steering column?

I really don't want to take the whole column apart.

Any GM shifter will bolt down. Shift handle are also interchangeable. As for column shift removal, I would buy a new steering column w/o the shifter on it.. It would also make it look nicer. I'm not sure about the cables drom the transmission.. On my Pontiac 6000, I got the cables, but I don't think I really needed them.. Good luck!

Guest TurboSedan

the column shift cable goes thru the firewall near the brake booster. i remember it being very easy to remove but it's been so long i can't remember the details.

i still have the auto shift handle sticking out of the column and it looks a little funny with two shifters :) i'm not going to go thru the trouble of replacing the entire column, i'd rather just pull the handle itself off.

joshua

joshua! GET THE HACKSAW!!!! lol :lol: :lol: And column switch isnt too much trouble.. 3 bolts, and change the wiring.. Just cut the cable that pulls the indicator.. easy as pie! lol

ok i did it and its a piece of cake..... boneyard collumn...... CT est 125$ and cables...... the column is easy about and hour or two to swap it. the best part about Wbodies is the clips in the floorpan...... makes bolting down the shifter cake. it will definitely look alot better than just taking out the shifter..... but Brad (eurosportz34) just too hos off and its not that hard... 3 torx bolts and it slides right out in one piece

I have a 96, so the column has an airbag, making it alot more expensive.

I really don't want to swap columns at all, way to big of a pain.

I could make a cover for the hole, your saying I can just take out the column shifter itself?

or is it an integral part of the column?

its just a few screws? could I just cut off the cable in the engine bay, and connect the other one to the tranny?

How does it connect to the tranny? is it hard to get to?

Wiill any year of shifter and cable work, or so I have to have a 94-96?

When I put the new shifter in, how do I run the cable? does it go out under the floor?

I'm gonna do it at the same time I replace all my carpeting, so I'll have all that up anyways.

I know it'll bolt down!

Will the cables match up to the tranny?

and, how do the cable(S) mate to the tranny?

I guess I wish I wouildn't have gotten my haynes manual wet now.

damn

Guest TurboSedan

I really don't want to swap columns at all, way to big of a pain.

I could make a cover for the hole, your saying I can just take out the column shifter itself?

or is it an integral part of the column?

i'm not sure about '96, but on my '91 if i take the shifter handle off there is still a stub sticking out of the column, so i can't just make a cover for the hole. the stub is kinda ugly IMO so i just leave the handle there for now. i completely forgot what went into getting the cable disconnected from the column, but i remember it wasn't hard to do and didn't take much time to get the entire cable out of the car. i'm not really sure how the floor shift automatic cables get routed, where they pass thru the firewall, or how they attatch to the trans since mine is obviously quite a bit different being a manual. good luck

joshua

Will the cables match up to the tranny?

and, how do the cable(S) mate to the tranny?

Ok, I went through this a few months ago when my cable broke. I spent an hour in the junkyard fighting with this cable, so I know exactly where everything goes.

It's a good thing you have your carpeting up.

Your shifter will bolt down, and the cable will route from a stub sticking off of the shifter, connected to that with a round piece of metal, with white plastic on the outside, that is on the ends of your shift cable. When you get the cable from your donor, or wherever, use a decent size flathead screwdriver as a wedge and that should pop right off.

There is a rubber grommet that the shift cable routes through on the firewall, just above where the floor ends. The cable itself routes down through the floor, underneath a small rectangular passageway from the firewall coming down from there to right under the shifter mount. It's sort of like a tunnel.

Sorry if this is hard to understand, I'm not sure what the names of some of these parts are. :?

Remove the air box from your engine bay. You'll be glad you did. :) Disconnect the hose from the throttle body as well. Set that aside.

Look down on your transmission and you'll see, directly below the brake booster, there will be a little arm coming off of the trans that has a white piece on a cable just like inside on the shifter inside the car. If you've not already, use your flathead screwdriver to wedge that off, then use pliers or something to pop the new one on. Don't worry about breaking the ring that snaps on, but try not to crimp the cable in any way.

I didn't need to adjust mine, but you might, not sure. Also, my car is an '89, so I may have different components. I hope this helped some! 8)

John