upgrading W-body brakes?

Guest TurboSedan

Guest TurboSedan

after reading the thread in the auction section about the '88-93 brake rotors, i started thinking about W-body brake upgrades. call me crazy but i still wouldn't try to make chicken soup out of chicken '88-'93 brakes. they just suck. for comparisons sake:

tirerack.com prices for all rotors, pads, and SS hoses for a '96 Olds Cutlass Supreme with the larger and improved design rear brakes, and larger front brakes:

Hawk HPS Street brake pads Front fitment = $47.00 (axle set)

Hawk HPS Street brake pads Rear fitment = $45.00 (axle set)

Brembo Replacement Rotor Front fitment = $136.00/each

Brembo Replacement Rotor Rear fitment = $122.00/each

Goodridge G-Stop Brakeline Kit = $123.00/complete set

i myself spent $100 for a pair of 49,000 mile '96 CS front strut/knuckle assemblies. i got my '94+ rear calipers and caliper mounting brackets/bolts for only $10 from a j/y '95 Regal, and the new cheapo rotors only cost $22 and the set of new pads like $20 something. the '94+ e-brake cables were another $20 and it took me about 2 hours to get those cables off of the donor '95 Regal (pita). the rear brake upgrade has cost me less than $100. i still need front rotors, a set of pads, and new lower ball joints, outer tie rod ends, front KYB struts, and cut 1/4 coil off of each front spring. suspension & brakes can get expensive!

i've heard the '96+ booster can improve pedal feel, but if you have a manual transmission like i do, the clutch master cylinder will be in the way making the '96+ booster upgrade pretty much impossible. i have never heard of a brake master cylinder upgrade? i'm upgrading the 21mm m/c on my GTS very soon since i've upgraded the rear drums to discs, the m/c i'm installing will be from a '91 Spirit R/T and will have a 24mm piston. does anyone know if there are any bigger m/c's available for the W-body? are all prop valves the same?

joshua