Frozen suspension = ROUGH ride

TeeJay3800

Anyone know why my rear suspension totally freezes up in cold weather? It happens when the temp dips into the mid teens for a few days. Right now for example, the entire rear end is much lower then it usually is with the driver side almost completely bottomed out!

Talk about a ROUGH ride. The ride gets so bad sometimes the seat belts lock up. Anyone else having this problem?

Yep! I think every w-body I've owned has been like this. I know right now, its been hovering around zero degrees and below lately. The car rides (and sounds) like its riding on four broken tree limbs. Every bump is very audible and the ride quality is mediocre at best. Basically, like you said, it feels like the struts have froze up solid. I've seen a couple other posts about this, and everyone has just chalked it up to cold weather. I just drive it.. not too much else one can do to it.

...the ride quality is mediocre at best. Basically, like you said, it feels like the struts have froze up solid.

Its even worse than that. I can stand on the bumper and try to bounce the rear end. It doesn't move an inch. The only thing that gives are the tires. I actually have a sore neck from driving the damn thing.

Anyone know why my rear suspension totally freezes up in cold weather?

When I got new rear struts put on my '89 a couple years ago, the mechanic told me it happens when moisture gets in the struts and causes the oil to foam and this freezes. When the weather gets warm, they thaw out and the car rides better. Sounds right, but I don't know for sure. I haven't driven my '89 for about 3 weeks now (since the temps have plummeted), but IIRC, it didn't freeze up anymore after the new struts were put on.

Anyone else having this problem?

Yes, the '89 before with the original struts and the '96 now that still has the original ones.

Ahhhhhh, the power of FE1 suspnsion. Sofffffft. Actually mine gets stiffer also. The previous set of rear struts did freeze totally, at least one did. Real bumpy. Luckily I was able to park it inside at work and thaw it out.

Maybe take it to a do it yourself car wash that isn't busy and waste alot of time cleaning it and spray out the wheelwells good. Sit in there and read a book when you're done. Get it nice and melted.

I'm sure thawing them out would fix the problem. Its interesting that not only are they frozen stiff, they are both almost bottomed out. Tomorrow I'll try parking them in the garage or sraying them with warm water at a car wash. It may fix the problem, but it will only be temporary as I'm sure they will re-freeze again. Damn this cold, typical-Michigan weather.

my car is doing that same thing. if i try and move the rear up or down it won't go either way. it feels like i'm driveing a shoping cart. sometimes its so bad that it gives me a headache, can't be good for my tires either.

I think I may have the same problem. There's all kind of clunks coming from the rear end, and it's sagging bad. Every bump my car bounces a couple times enough to get someone seasick.

i had my car in a heated garage the other night, by morning the rear would move again, it does feel like its getting slugish again, hopefully it won't freeze on me tonight.