Engine cleaner/degreaser?

oldslover

Hey guys/girls, what's the best method to thoroughly yet safely clean a cruddy engine compartment? It's NOT my Cutlass International but it is an Olds [92 Acheiva SC].

Give me some first hand advice, please.

THANKS!

one of the best prodcuts to use is Simple Green, you can get it at walmart.

THere are lots of techniques...but heres what I do

1) let engine run for 2-3 minutes...just to get very slightly warm

2) cover up electronics, alt, etc.

3) spray down everything mostly with SG

4) rinse away with a VERY ligtht stream of water

5) brush in areas that need it

6) remove everything

7) restart car, and let it help dry off

some people then dress with armorl all, but I would using nothing, or any other vinal (sp) protectant than AA

jon

Really, Simple Green? Can it be that simple? [no pun intended]

I once used a product like 'Gunk' or something like that, followed the directions but within a week or so the plug wires needed replaced [shop said the chemicals leak through] and a few other components due to poor runability.

A neighbor said to use kerosene and it works like a charm?

It's not a huge greasy mess but it is dirty so I want to clean it. I've seen some older cars with sparkling engine compartments so I know it's possible, just need to know how.

I was thinking of using a hot water pressure wash?

Thanks godofthunder!

Anyone else care to share their technique?

Kerosene?! Might as well just place a stick of dynamite in there! Huh.. I guess I don't know if it works or not.. maybe it does! But I don't think I could bring myself to spray such flamable liquids all over my engine.

if you want to skip all the non-sense...and try the best way IMO...pay a little and get your engine bay steam cleaned. that works like a champ to really get it clean right away. then use spray cleaners when it starts looking only slightly dirty to remove little films that may accumulate.

if your going to use the simple green, the way i did it was i sprayed individual places witht he simple green and wiped it off with a rag, to get the most places, and then when you are done spray everything down and use the hose or something to spray it off

...pay a little and get your engine bay steam cleaned. that works like a champ to really get it clean right away.

Agreed, using Simple Green or a non-solvent based degreaser with a power spray shows best results.

Using solvent based chemical can discolor / weaken plastic engine parts...

Most cleaner explicitly say not to use on hot engine parts as well.

Simple Green works wonders! More details: W-Body Performance - Engine Power-Washing.

It's how I clean all my cars, never had a problem as long as you don't go overboard...

* Cutlass DOHC engine bay

* Jetta VR6 engine bay

- Erik

THANKS for the help! My neighbor swears by the kerosene method. Kero is very difficult to ignite and will not explode by flame, like diesel fuel. I still hesitate using this method but maybe I'll talk him into doing it for me? I have a high pressue washer and think I'll try the Simple Green since it's not excessively dirty.

I appreciate the help!

See my other question, battery dies in my Cutlass International.

this is what I did. went to the car wash. srayed the engine down with castrol... i dont remember the rest, it comes is a purple container at wall mart. covered the electronics with plastic

wash the rest of the car. go back and power wash the stuff off at the car wash. it takes everything off.

redfox...

do you use any protectant afterwards? I want to get some 303 but havent gotten to it yet. My dad recomended amorall...but I hate that stuff with a passsion...

jon

do you use any protectant afterwards? I want to get some 303 but havent gotten to it yet. My dad recomended amorall...but I hate that stuff with a passsion...

Actually, no, I towel dry it and let it sit.

I don't use any glaze since its electrostaticly charge and collects dust.

- Erik