New W-Body Owner with a few questions.

Cornerdealy

Hi all, I've recently purchased a 1996 Grand Prix SE 2 door and I have a couple questions.

1) Are there any sites that sell mods/parts/accessories for it? I've looked around a lot and I've had some trouble finding a lot of stuff for the 1st gen GP

2) If I replace the stock stereo that's in the car now (am/fm/cassette), will the steering wheel controls still work?

Thats all the questions I have for now, If anyone has any other info they would like to share please do! I promise to have some pics up also!

The stereo question I wouldn't be able to answer. I'm sure you would have to do some minor wiring...anyways welcome to the board! There are a bunch of w-body junkies on here that have helpful answers to your questions.

I'm not the man to ask about the radio but I have read here many times about adapter setups that run a transmitter setup to make the steering wheel buttons work. It may be brand specific, not sure. Just know there is a way.

...but there are a few companies making various performance parts for W-bodies...

http://redfox340.tripod.com/wbodyperformance/index.html

I didn't know I was now a parts provider? :shock: I just relay info to the public...

2) If I replace the stock stereo that's in the car now (am/fm/cassette), will the steering wheel controls still work?

There are adaptors to have an aftermarket head unit hook up to the steering wheel...

But they are very unpredictable and haven't seen any good luck from people who have installed them.

Some of the newer models use a radio transmission signal adaptor to your wheel to control your head unit.

Recommendation: if OEM head unit is fried, find another one and amp it instead.

- Erik

To get the radio controls to work, you need one of these.

http://www.clubgpstore.com/itemview.asp?itemid=16

It's basically an item that takes the signal from the wheel controls and converts them into an infrared signal. Therefore you need to mount an an infrared 'eye' somewhere in line of your aftermarket stereo. Tough to do if you don't have a floor console.

Hi! Welcome to the board.

I suggest that BEFORE you do any mods, you should give your car a complete tune-up. It'll make it run better, get back lost gas milage, and you won't have to worry about the minor stuff later on.

BEFORE YOU MOD

---------------------

Change oil, oil filter.

Change tranny fluid, filter, gasket.

Flush radiator.

Change fuel filter.

Change sparkplugs with AC Delco plugs.

Change plug wires.

Change PVC valve.

Change air filter.

Run GM Top Engine cleaner through motor [Can get from GM dealer].

MODS

-------

01) I HIGHLY suggest that you get a billet aluminum w/polyurethane bushings motormount from http://www.fastfwdperformance.com. Your stock steel one is prone to breaking in half [has happened] and is ugly and weak. The aluminum one is MUCH stronger, looks better, and will help your transfer all your power to the ground more efficiently.

02) You can get the underdrive pully from http://www.fastfwdperformance.com. You will feel a noticable change in your revs, and get quicker responces from your motor, especially on top end.

03) Custom short ram intake from http://www.mandsproduction.com will help your motor breath better by getting rid of the restrictive stock intake. Also makes your motor a little louder and sounds cool.

04) If your car doesn't already have a new exhaust system, a 2.5" cat-back exhaust is the usual upgrade. I would also suggest getting a high-flow 2.5" CarSound cat from http://www.mandsproduction.com. It's high flow [out-flows Random Tech, Catco, Dynomax] and federal laws requires it. You can also get any kind of muffler you like, Magnaflow and Dynomax are the suggested companys to look at.

Suspension & Handling Mods

---------------------------------

01)If you have the stock factory struts on, they are probably worn by now. If you want your sporty handling back, I'd suggest KYB GR2 struts all around. You can get them from http://www.tirerack.com. They are cheaper then the Monroe Reflex, but are pretty much the same strut.

02)Your strut mounts are probably worn too. You can get new KYB strut mounts from http://www.tirerack.com. I'd also suggest going to your local parts store and picking up two dust boots for the rear struts to keep the elements away from the struts.

03)You can stop by your local GM dealer and ask for a 98+ Buick K-Bar. It's a front strut tower brace. You'll have to drill two holes on each side of your front strut towers into the tower plates [they're black]. It's easy to do if you have a drill with a good bit. You can also use the same bar for the rear. I believe this is the parts number for it: Part# 12456148

04)You can also get the GM Performance Parts tubular rear trailing arms from your local GM dealer. They are for the newer W-Body's, but they will fit your car. They are MUCH stronger then the cheap factory stamp steal junk you have on right now. Part# 12498649. You'll need two of them.

07)If you have the 16x7 wheels, you can upgrade to factory 16x8 wheels and get 245/50/16 wheels which will in turn give you better traction and better handling.

Hope this helps you out on the basic mods for your car. :)

:withstupid: quite detailed post right there. there's nothing much that i could add to it...EXCEPT...look for a tranny cooler. the 4T60E transmission will love you for it. i recommend the B&M @ 19000 GVW.

hey man, thanks a lot for that very detailed post!

I plan on following that to the best I can, but unfortunately I am not that knowledged in working on cars and I don't think I can afford taking it to the shop to get most of these items installed.

This place seems like it is full of info, so as i purchase the mods, i'll be here asking a lot of questions on how to get all this stuff in.

Thanks again!

Hey man about the radio controls thing. If you can live without the controls then dont worry about them. Those adapters and stuff, they are iffy if they work, and once installed you cant get your money back. The infrared sensors are supposed to have better luck, but again, only if nothing is blocking the "eye".

You can also get the GM Performance Parts tubular rear trailing arms from your local GM dealer. They are for the newer W-Body's, but they will fit your car. They are MUCH stronger then the cheap factory stamp steal junk you have on right now. Part# 12498649. You'll need two of them.

What is involved in replacing the existing trailing arms?

Guest Anonymous
You can also get the GM Performance Parts tubular rear trailing arms from your local GM dealer. They are for the newer W-Body's, but they will fit your car. They are MUCH stronger then the cheap factory stamp steal junk you have on right now. Part# 12498649. You'll need two of them.

What is involved in replacing the existing trailing arms?

Unbolt the old ones and bolt the new ones on. Direct fit.

I have the GMPP rear trailing arms on my TGP. They are a lot stronger then the stock stamped junk. I haven't driven my car in 2-3 months because of the winter we're having right now, so I don't remember much of what improvements it did to my car.

• 1 month later...