Extremely Random W-body Question

digitaloutsider

Someone else brought this up in a previous topic. When you close your door, ignition off, and just sit there, do you notice a clicking sound? Kind of a light click. Just once. I've been wracking my brain trying to figure out just what the fuck it is. Aghhh [begins hitting head on desk]

My Lumina does this also.

I've always thought it had something to do with the interior illumination delay thingy.....you know you open/close a door and the instrument panel lights turn on and then turn off after a couple of minutes.

My CS does the same thing. It also does it if I pull on the door handle when the doors are locked. After a few seconds it makes that clicking noise.

:withstupid: I think its safe to say they all do this. Seat belt actuators Shawn? What needs to be 'actuated' with the seatbelts??

Yup, seatbelt actuators.

It's the passive restraint system, the entire reason GM got away without airbags in these cars for so long. When a door is opened, the seatbelt actuators disengage the belts so that the doors can be opened without disconnecting the seatbelts. It works as a passive restraint, because you can leave the belt buckled and enter/exit the car. It's the whole reason the seatbelts are on the doors. It was GM's genius way of barely scraping by when the government mandated new safety rules.

Before I got my Lumina, all I knew about it was it was a 90. I figured for sure it'll have an airbag as my dad's 89 Taurus had one, and so does his 91.. I was thrilled my Lumina didn't, and stil doesnt, have airbags.. I feel very unsafe that clost to an airbag..But, going back onto topic here, I'm glad I know what that click is, as I was going mad, wonering if I had lost my mind or not.. :lol: :lol: (Although it's clear I HAVE lost it)

I've had a airbag in the face. We got rear ended and I was riding shotgun in a Dodge caravan. We went into a tree! The lady that hit us was probaly doing 35-40, but it honestly felt like a slap on the face! It didnt even break mt glasses!

I've never liked the idea of airbags. I think a better seatbelt restraint would be a better idea.

Anyways.. I think steering wheels with airbags are damn ugly. Its like a pillow with a ring around it :lol:

LOL!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I've never liked the idea of airbags. I think a better seatbelt restraint would be a better idea.

Anyways.. I think steering wheels with airbags are damn ugly. Its like a pillow with a ring around it :lol:

the old ones look that way, the new ones don't look bad at all....here is my spyder's bag

DSCN0041.JPG

Airbags actually greatly reduce head and neck injury which is a problem area in first-gen W-bodies due to the poor seatbelt and headrest design.

Head and neck injuries are what usually causes death in an accident.

Given the choice, I'd prefer one, although it doesn't bother me not to have it.

Ooh.. like one of those hemmorhoid pillows :lol: :lol:

Yup my Lum has always done it too and it has NO power windows or locks, all manual but it still clicks.

:werd:

I have awlways been wondering what the fuck it is. oh well, all this time maybe i had keyless entry i didnt know about, but it appears i am not that lucky.

John