99RegalGS

Should I get a TGP?  

1. 1. Should I get a TGP?

I've been thinking lately about selling the Regal to get a TGP. And depending on the price I might be able to use some left over money for mods.

I was wondering what you guys think about my idea. Yes, No?

I'm still in the deciding phase so I was thinking of some pro's and con's about both.

TGP

Pro's:

Rare, Fast, Turbo, Hud, Nice seats, looks good, some aftermarket

Con's:

PMIII, Finding one that isn't beat, Crossover, replacement parts are expensive and hard to find.

Regal GS

Pro's:

Very reliable, Lots of torque, looks good, no PMIII, newer

Con's:

170 hp, Gay Radio setup, no Hud, no aftermarket

Any I missed and need to add?

Well, here is my two cents on the topic. I've been in several W-bodies in my time. A buddy of mine had a GP, my cousin had a 2 door Cutlass and a real good high school friend's mother had a Regal GS.

At the time my buddy had a 91 Camaro RS and an Eagle Talon TSi. He would always ask to borrow his mom's car. (Before his step dad died, they would rebuild lightly damaged cars that were totalled by the insurance company, so they always had all kinds of crazy cars.)

On a couple of occasions we got the Regal out. I recently sold an 86 IROC-Z and have been in several other camaros ...... now call me crazy, but I'm kind of like my buddy ..... I really liked the ride of that Regal. Sure, the Z could really lock up .... on *dry* pavement, but the things are a little crazy on even early morning dewey roads. Much less snow.

And we would always ride at 90+ (we were 17, K) in the GS and never think anything of it. Half the time we didn't *know* we were doing that, the car was just *that* smooth.

Now I have a 4 door Cutlass, and he's driving a Ford. But I can't help looking at GS's as they pass and go ..... sweeeet.

Since I've never been in a TGP, only a GP .... I have no idea how the Turbo helps, but call me crazy again, I don't like the intake vents in the hood. I think they really break up the clean sleak look of the GP ......

So I'd keep the Regal, personally ...... but I've always been a little off center of normal ......

Oh, one other quick thing, I know that I've seen a how to type of thing here about adding HUD to a non-HUD factory car. So I also don't think that should be a determining factor. Because if you *want* or feel you *need* HUD, then you can add it you know.

Oh, one other quick thing, I know that I've seen a how to type of thing here about adding HUD to a non-HUD factory car. So I also don't think that should be a determining factor. Because if you *want* or feel you *need* HUD, then you can add it you know.

Adding a HUD to the Regal dash would be a little tricky..but it can be done, the dash is basically the same exact length as the HUD, but the recessed in gauges would no doubt be in the way when you go to cut the dash pad..I'm going to look at it some more..the trim off the factory HUDs are proably going to need to be cut down a little or something..I was looking out of curiosity the other day because one of my friends is trying to add a HUD to another buick. :D

Actually I was thinking about putting in a HUD about 2 months ago. I was going to use the gen III hud out of 94-96 GP's, modify my dash top for the hud and wire it in.

I figured I could make it work.

Then I started calling j/y's for the hud's but I couldn't find one. Half of the yards had no clue what I was asking for.

I did find a gen IV Hud out of a 97+GP but I wanted to know if I could get the radio display to work in the hud before I got it. I asked around and I never found out if I could get it to work in my car. That is as far as I got.

Here is the Topic I posted about it. It has some good information about HUDs.

http://www.w-body.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10205

I like the Buick in your sig. I would keep it.

Buick GS coupes are actually more rare than TGP's... among the online community, that is.

Also harder to find on Ebay.

theres two here in bemidji, 1 that drives by my house everyone once in a while

i've seen a few Regal GS coupes....but i really like the look of yours i'd keep it

this may be off topic but i saw a regal coupe with clear tails today...um...it's interesting looking

Buick GS coupes are actually more rare than TGP's... among the online community, that is.

Also harder to find on Ebay.

I've seen alot of Regal coupes, but like you said the GS coupes are more rare. I've only seen 3 other Regal GS's in person that are the same as mine.

Sean, keep the GS no matter what. Buy a TGP if you want one. Don't sell the GS to get one.

Maybe that's what I will do. I can try to save up $1,500 for one this summer then.

speaking of hud........ anyone install one on a lumina?? if so any pics??? i don't know if it'd be possible on a non- tach car either.....

One in a Lumina, not that I know of.

The Hud doesn't need a tach input (unless you want one out of a corvette), so I don't think it will matter

this may be off topic but i saw a regal coupe with clear tails today...um...it's interesting looking

Believe it or not, that's factory!

I see those all the time. I think it's certain years of the Regal Limited, which is sorta like a GS with chrome instead of black.

that's different...i see it at college all the time on a black one with way too much chrome trim...there's also a GS thats Maroon...it looks exactly like MaroonRegal's..lol...i almost pissed myself cause i've never seen a 1st gen w-body Regal that nice

If it were my money, I would get the TGP. It is more rare, faster, and better looking (IMO). TGPs are attractive becuase of their uniqueness and performance. However, you have to keep in mind you already have a great, reliable car with your GS. If you sold that to buy a TGP, you may be buying a world of problems.

If it were my money, I would get the TGP. It is more rare, faster, and better looking (IMO). TGPs are attractive becuase of their uniqueness and performance. However, you have to keep in mind you already have a great, reliable car with your GS. If you sold that to buy a TGP, you may be buying a world of problems.

Very good point Tim. :)

speaking of hud........ anyone install one on a lumina?? if so any pics??? i don't know if it'd be possible on a non- tach car either.....

One in a Lumina, not that I know of.

The Hud doesn't need a tach input (unless you want one out of a corvette), so I don't think it will matter

have tach input in the car........ autometer tach. but i have the grandma edition guage cluster. ie idiot lights and just a speedo and fuel guage

I like the regal in your sig honestly its probably one of the few buicks ive ever seen i like the looks of better then my prix....and its hard as anything to find a tgp in good condition....stick w/ regal

I would keep the Regal, especially for reliability reasons. There is a 1989 TGP about 10 mins from my house for sale for 2,500. It has 90k, and is in MINT condition. If I had the money, I would buy the car. Only problem it has is the "check gauges", and "low fuel" light is on. Common problem, some soldering would take care of that. I WISH I had the money to buy that car. I took pics of it back in October, I'll try to post some pics of it tomorrow for those of you that are interested. Its for sale in Bradford, PA. Its been for sale for a long time, but idiots around here don't seem to know how rare a turbo Grand Prix is.

Aaron

Another thing.... is there actually a TGP you have your eyes on, or are just thinking about looking for one?

There is one in SD that I might want. I guess the guy was asking $2,000 for it but he might raise it since he was told the car was rare. I was told that it is in great shape.

Only problem it has is the "check gauges", and "low fuel" light is on. Common problem, some soldering would take care of that.

What causes that?

I wouldn't mind installing HUD in one of my Luminas, if anyone has done this before let me know, I would like to talk to them :D