Leaking trunk

ebooher

My cousin had a 90's Cutlass, and now I have a 90's cutlass 4 door, and my trunk leaks. He told me it's probably at the rear glass and not the trunk lid itself because of how it's shaped and how hard it is to seal.

Any one know what to look for or how I can track the leak down?

Is the water concentrated in a certain area? I've had my passenger side tailight(studs letting water through due to old rubber washers on them) leak before..and the water would only be on the right side of the trunk and some would puddle occasionally in the spare tire well after very hard rains. Other areas are to pull back the carpet and look around the antenna and also under your spoiler if you have one..you're probably going to have surface rust on something wherever it is leaking if it's been doing it for a while. Get someone you trust and climb in the trunk and have them spray water all around it and you look around w/ a flashlight, most of the time you can find your leak using this method.

My sisters Prix has a pretty bad leak in the trunk, we still havn't figured out where its coming. The spare tire cover is covered in white mold and the spare tire compartment fills up with water. I think it has somthing to do with the way the trunk/weather stripping was designed. My 88 Cutlass is completly dry and every thing in the trunk looks brand new.

If it has a spoiler it usually is the culprit that leaks too, I know mine does and the idiots(dealer) I bought it from used a paper gasket to seal it. :roll: And my GF's Grand Am spoiler leaks too. It's usually where the spoiler bolts on to the trunk. If your cousin has a spoiler on his Cutlass(i'm pretty sure some of them came with them...) check the mouting bolts for lime build-up/rust stains. If he doesn't got one, then you just dis-regard this post. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Mine had a leak when I bought it. I couldn't figure out where it was coming from. My power antenna was broken when I bought my car too. I decided to replace the antenna and when I pulled it out to match it up I found the leak. The people at the junk yard told me that water gets into the antenna shaft and it's suppose to be caught and sent back out via a hose at the end of the antenna, but with age the hose gets dry rotted and the plastic cracks. Then the hose leaks and in some cases falls off the end of the antenna. After finding that out I decided to get a black rubber euro antenna. It was cheaper, gets great reception, never freezes up, can be bent in half and still won't break, and best of all doesn't leak!