Interesting Door Lock Short

ebooher

Ok, here's an interesting problem, at least I think so, and I don't even know where to start. The Cutlass I just bought is a 4-door model. The very first time I test drove the car, placing the gear selector into drive automatically locked the doors, placing in park unlocked.

But just that first time. I didn't even think about it after that because I was looking at what I thought was more important (no wheel rubbing, no cracked cv joints, etc)

Now, here's where it gets really interesting. Usually the buttons on the drivers and passengers door for the locks work without a problem. However, if I attempt to *unlock* the doors while the car is in drive the locks stop working period until I've turned the car off and left and come back (so I don't know if it needs a minute, or 5, or 15 etc to reset) then they usually work again.

Unless it's really cold outside, then they don't fire sometimes either.

Also, whenever I leave the car and don't lock the doors, closing the driver's door causes them to *seem* to fire. (I hear the relay click once) like maybe they were being unlocked? Cause they don't ever automatically lock .... yet.

Also, is there any way to tell if the car had factory RKE? I've been reading the archives and I've noticed something about the RKE having a way to fire the drivers door that has different wiring that the rest (so the remote can fire one then the rest) and how some people have tried to add aftermarket stuff unsuccessfully and wonder if maybe the RKE brain is messed up?

I don't know, it's just really weird. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure, but I can relate to the walking away and hearing that click. My '94 does the same thing if I don't lock the doors.. never really pondered what it was though..