electrical problem FIXED...i'm such a dumbass

rudefyet

ok this has gotten on my nerves now...my car is not charging the battery right... ok i start it up and the battery will charge either for a minute or 2 or not at all and then while i'm going down the road it's not charging but it'll kick off and on on occasion but hardly ever...i know it's not the battery and not the alternator...what else could it be...it's gotta be somewhere between the alternator and battery...but i can't figure it out...tomorrow i'm gonna go and trace all the wires from the alternator and see but any one have any ideas????

yeah but it did the same thing with my old one

the voltage regulator is internal so it's good...what's this thing i'm reading about in my manual called the "fusable link"....ugh...what the hell is going on with my car

the belt is new...i replaced the battery and it still didn't fix it

it's gotta be a connection somewhere....but standing under the hood of a car when it's below freezing is not fun!

yes i wasted over $100 on parts and the problem is still there

Look in the back of your alt. There are a few wires coming out the back end of it. There is one that I always forget to install. Always. Make sure everything is connected properly. Its a two or three pin clip.

-Hope it helps~Ben.

It sounds like the primary charging wite from the alternater is probably worn out somewhere between the alternator and the battery. You will need to visually inspect the charging wire for a short to ground.

Charging wire is the large RED wire coming from the rear of the alternator to the postive post connection on the battery

ok i've got it narrowed down to a couple different possibilites

1. The cable between the battery and alternator is shot

2. Something is shorting out while the car is running

3. My BRAND NEW alt is bad

i just need to know 2 things

what are the 3 wires for that come out of the top of the alt...where do each one of them go and what do they do?

also does the check gauges light usally come on when the voltage gauge reads below 13 or so volts?

I may be (most likely am) wrong. I figure they would be a ground, a feed to the battery, and one to the computer.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. Better to get the right info out there.

ok awhile ago i was going around checking fuses awhile ago trying to figure out my cruise control...i musta been on something when i did it...i'll explain why later

I wasted my money on a new alt and battery and still no luck...but then my SES comes on...what's this i say...why it's a code 32...EGR vavle problems...after some choice words and thoughts of sacrificing the car in some sort of religious ritual...i begin my hunt for the EGR demon...

Where would you start looking first...i choose the fusebox and it's a damn good thing i did...looking for the Ignition fuses i notice that one is missing i blew it off at first thinking my car only came with one...then i looked closer to only see metal contacts at the bottom of the fuse holder...wtf? i said...next thing i notice is there is a 10 amp fuse in the hole for 2.5 Injectors....um...it's supposed to be 4 amps and i don't have a 2.5 (thank god)...i quickly switch the fuse from that spot to the Ignition spot...and voila...battery charges and engine doesn't idle weird

After all this i think i will go shot myself for doing something that stupid...i sure know i'm never gonna live it down thanks to my dad but oh well

all i can do now is

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

heh.. fuses are dumb. I can recall many times when I've done everything humanly possible to fix a problem with no luck... only to discover it was a simple fuse......

If I'm doing something inside the car, I can usually hear them pop, so I know where to look.

yeah i kinda had a problem like that too, my digital dash didnt work and neither did my cruise control and neither did my AC, i looked at the fuse block, didnt find anything, like a month later took out the glove box, and there it was, the 2nd fuse block i had never known of (thanks for telling me guys, geesh) rooted around in there, replaced 5 blown fuses, then everything worked, cruise control, dash, AC, it was sweet, i was really excited

my car died crossing an intersection and would not start back up. pulled it over to the side checking everything thinking ive really messed up I walk back home (thank god it was only a couple blocks away) and call a tow truck. While waiting for the truck I finally decide HEY I should check the fuses.

Sure enough iginition 2 was toast, luckily I had one in my tool box, replaced it and took off.

I always forget to check the fuses.