moonroof question!!!!

Heza

ok, so the GP im looking at had a factory installed ASC moonroof (vent/slide in) since it wasnt an option on the car. dont all GPs use ASC anyway for first gen? also, if its aftermarket do would it have that ugly non-flush look with the black gasket/seal on the rim?

Guest TurboSedan

the factory installed ASC power vent/slider on my '89 GTS has an 'ASC' sticker on it. i have to look into the seal area of the sunroof from inside the car, directly above drivers seat to see the sticker. it also has an 'ASC' sticker on the drivers side door on the lower door jam area. the sunroof is completely flush with the roof and no ugly black seal. wish my Cutlass came with one!

joshua

cool thanks for the inputs. yeah, the car (someone else is looking into it for me since im in Iraq) has an ASC sticker in the trunk. but i didnt get info as to whether it was flush or not...i hope to God it is. if i get this car, i might actually take time to make is sig.

so now im fucking pissed off. pardon the language, but it cant be helped. as beautiful the white '96 Special Edition GTP is on eBay...i cant believe i finally find out that the ASC roof was installed to keep the overhead console (otherwise deleted with factory roof). so, on the roof of that car is an ugly fucking trim strip going around the hole, "but it was painted white before installation." i plan on going after that car with dedication, but I HATE TRIM STRIPS!!!! the flushness of the metal and glass is what i like about good factory moonroofs. not saying ASC is bad because its the best aftermarket roof out there, but it just isnt flush! :?

Hey you know my girlfriends Camry has a sunroof and it has 4 buttons on the dash to operate it. Open, Close, Vent and ASC. But it stands for Auto Sunroof Close (or Control or something like that) Because when you push it and it is lit up green when ever you have the roof open and you shut off the car and get out the roof closes automatically. Well just my 2 cents

Hey you know my girlfriends Camry has a sunroof and it has 4 buttons on the dash to operate it. Open, Close, Vent and ASC. But it stands for Auto Sunroof Close (or Control or something like that) Because when you push it and it is lit up green when ever you have the roof open and you shut off the car and get out the roof closes automatically. Well just my 2 cents

that's exactly what is in the Prix. do you like the roof? is it nice?

more on the moonroof thought. the guy with the car said that beginning in the model year of '96, GM switched from ASC for their moonroof installations to Wabasto. stating that Wabasto was crap from his 27 years dealership experience (owning one), he chose to order the '96 without the factory roof and instead had the factory specially install an ASC moonroof because of the better quality and warranty. he also said, that yes the rolled edge moonroof looks cleaner, but it also does not seal as well nor does it provide the flex reinforcement to the roof panel necessary when cutting a hole in it.

Guest TurboSedan

hmmm, i know that the sunroof in my mom's '99 GAGT is quite a bit different than my ASC. when the glass on the GAGT slides back, the glass is actually outside of the car over the roof, whereas mine slides in above the headliner inside the car completely hidden from the outside as well as being out of sight from the passengers inside the car...

i myself don't really like a big piece of glass sticking out when the sunroof is fully open - i'd rather have it completely hidden like the ASC in my GTS.

joshua

I took a closer look at my girlfriend's Camry and it is an ASC brand sunroof. It was installed aftermarket by the dealer also. Couple things to note there is some noticeable wind noise at highway speed, I was surprised by this as it being a Camry (2001) and everything else is so damn smooth/quiet/isolated, but it being aftermarket explains that. It may be due to the rear part of the sunroof not coming completely flush to the roof line when in closed position. It is about 1/8-1/4in lower at the rear like its getting ready to go down into the roof. So it is prefereable to close the sunshade when the glass is closed to muffle some of the noise. I have a factory sunroof on my Altima and I hardly notice any noise from it when closed.

Also the head liner is no longer glued directly to the roof, it looks like it is but it is actually just pulled REALLY tight so that is does not sag.

Other than that it works great and the seam on the outside is not that noticeable, and I really like the 1-touch open/close and the auto-close. My Altima you have to keep the button pushed the whole time (Ohhhh no!!! I have to keep my finger on the button to open it all the way... say it aint so!!! <<--thats just me being lazy but I do like 1 touch windows and such)...

yeah...the difference is, dealer installed, and factory installed. the guy obviously had some connections. my girlfriends dad said that it looked great on the inside when he checked it out and everything was perfect with it. i guess ill be the true judge when i see my car a month from now.

more on the moonroof thought. the guy with the car said that beginning in the model year of '96, GM switched from ASC for their moonroof installations to Wabasto. stating that Wabasto was crap from his 27 years dealership experience (owning one), he chose to order the '96 without the factory roof and instead had the factory specially install an ASC moonroof because of the better quality and warranty. he also said, that yes the rolled edge moonroof looks cleaner, but it also does not seal as well nor does it provide the flex reinforcement to the roof panel necessary when cutting a hole in it.

That is BS. The factory moonroofs are exactly the same, 88-96 (or 97 on Cutlass Supreme). I don't know if parts of it are made by an aftermarket company or not, but I can't find any other company's names on the factory sunroof parts. They look to be all GM/Delco to me. Same sheetmetal, same glass, all interchangeable parts between all years.

The factory roof is completely different if it has a factory moonroof. It has a LOT of flex reinforcement in the roof. The roof is completely different than a regular roof. A factory roof with moonroof is a LOT stronger than a standard roof that has had a hole cut in it for an aftermarket moonroof. It's NOT just a rolled edge. This guy is an idiot. I'd look elsewhere unless the aftermarket moonroof is acceptable to you.

Actually, the trim strip around the opening of ASC moonroofs is not that bad. It's fairly small and blends into the glass well. Lots of people can't tell the difference.

That is BS. The factory moonroofs are exactly the same, 88-96 (or 97 on Cutlass Supreme). I don't know if parts of it are made by an aftermarket company or not, but I can't find any other company's names on the factory sunroof parts. They look to be all GM/Delco to me. Same sheetmetal, same glass, all interchangeable parts between all years.

The factory roof is completely different if it has a factory moonroof. It has a LOT of flex reinforcement in the roof. The roof is completely different than a regular roof. A factory roof with moonroof is a LOT stronger than a standard roof that has had a hole cut in it for an aftermarket moonroof. It's NOT just a rolled edge. This guy is an idiot. I'd look elsewhere unless the aftermarket moonroof is acceptable to you.

Actually, the trim strip around the opening of ASC moonroofs is not that bad. It's fairly small and blends into the glass well. Lots of people can't tell the difference.

i listened to him since he works there and was completely honest with me about the car. he showed my girlfriend's father all documentation on the car and its all legit. all service was done by his son (GM tech) and all fluid changes were done without missing a beat. tranny every 9k...cant complain considering the 4t60e already has a crappy reputation. along with his 27 years and ownership of the dealership he ordered the car from.

as for looking elsewhere...not happening...i own the car. it is my fully loaded GTP (with exception to the moonroof controversy that i really dont care about). it looks nice with the trim around the hole painted to match the body color. plus it has the auto functions: open, close, vent, auto-close with ignition off. not to mention, ASC is by far the best moonroof company you can seek.

isnt it ironic that the TGP has the same moonroof as a 91 GTP even though the TGP was ASC?

im happy. i have a great lower mileage, fully loaded '96 GTP with a more functional moonroof than the 'factory' had to offer...meanwhile...still being installed at the factory. a personalized car from the factory, now in my ownership.

isnt it ironic that the TGP has the same moonroof as a 91 GTP even though the TGP was ASC?

Actually, not all TGP's got factory moonroofs. Some that did, have the same moonroof as all 88-96 GP's with factory roof. Some that didn't, got ASC moonroofs.

im happy. i have a great lower mileage, fully loaded '96 GTP with a more functional moonroof than the 'factory' had to offer...meanwhile...still being installed at the factory. a personalized car from the factory, now in my ownership.

If you like it, that's all that matters, but no ASC moonroof was installed in the factory. They were installed by whatever ASC certified installer the dealer chose to outsource their cars to.

If you like it, that's all that matters, but no ASC moonroof was installed in the factory. They were installed by whatever ASC certified installer the dealer chose to outsource their cars to.

yes, i understand this. i didnt make that clear. the hole was made and installed at a plant that was nearby. but wasnt in his possession before the roof was cut open. as for GM part #s...just because there is a GM part # on a part, it doesnt necessarily mean that it wasnt provided to GM from another company. how logical would it be to have to reference part #s from different companies? why not make everything have a GM part # to simplify the process and have a mark up. look at the crosslace wheels from Grand Prixs...made by Enkei. just an example.

i went to go look at the moonroof/sunroof from my TGP and its not a ASC......its a INFALA

which now are the same company i believe but were they back then????

in 1990???

just more to argue/debate about

lol

Dave

yes, lets debate. i love debating. did well in high school and in college. INFALA...never heard of them. i dont know if ASC are with INFALA or what not. that will be some research i will have to do. ASC has been around since 60-something.

i went to go look at the moonroof/sunroof from my TGP and its not a ASC......its a INFALA

Where'd you find this writing?

I would actually like to put an aftermarket sunroof in my Cutlass that can use factory parts.

BTW, I think it's actually INALFA.