Just picked up a Getrag 284, can i get some info from you'al

qwikgta

I am doing a 3.4 swap into my 88 Fiero. The motor is a 96 and i just picked up a 91 ECM, Harness and 284 Getrag from a 91 Cutlass Intl in a junk yard.

:D You don't want to know how much i paid for the Trans :D

Anyway, i understand that this trans has some "ISSUES", like it needs to be sent off to Detroit to be rebuilt, and it has a "Pull type" clutch and it does not just bolt up to my cradle... Im sure that there are more issues, but im trying to findout more info on this trans.

What is it worth?, How much to rebuild? How much is the clutch setup? ... stuff like that.

Also, if i was going to sell it, would anyone like to buy it...

Rob

Ok well first of all a rebuild is quite expensive. Most common parts to go on this trans are the synchros. GM only does trans swaps so if you send a 284 with a wad of cash to them they send you a rebuilt one then they rebuild yous. GMPartsdirect does this they have some prices listed on the website. Clutches are also a pain on this trans the pull clutch accually is kinda bad for the engine. Watch your Crabkshaf on the enging carefully it will probably have some play in it. GM No longer provides parts for this trans except for the basic clutch and hydraluics all internal parts are rare. be nice to your trans and it will work great. Mine did till the timing belt went on my engine lol

Clutches are in the 150's to 600.00 USD for higher end ones

Rebuilds are 1000.00 at min and up from there.

Im not bad mouthing ya but a 282 Getrag would have been a wiser choice

Depends on why you want one. For rebuildability and cost then the 282 might be better. For reliability (7000 rpm remember, its 50lbs heavier for a reason) and performance then you can't beat the 284. The 282 would work but the gearing is less then ideal for the powerband. I do know of a few high 300hp+ DOHC Fiero's that use the 282 or Isuzu tranny though, having a lighter car really pays off.

A swap for a rebuild is $2-3k i think, but fortunately the syncro's are usually the only thing to go, usually the 2nd gear one first. I don't think i've ever heard of a 284 blowing up...

A stock clutch set I paid $180 from Advanced Auto, Orielly's has the same one for just a little bit more. Unless you do some major engine work or just like the feel of a performance clutch then the stock one should be fine, specially considering your much lighter car. Spec, Clutchmasters, and Clutchnet all make discs and can re-work your pressure plate if you wish.

For the crank problem, it is usually fine except if you have contaminated oil. The pressure plate has a slightly higher static pull load then most so the thrust bearings will wear slightly faster, but these horror stories of 1/8" crank walk are usually due to something in the oil.

And I know of a couple people who would want it. I wouldn't mind a spare and someone else might want it with some of the other 5spd related stuff from the parts car.

Dave,

What are you talking about..... i already have a 282 and an Isuzu trans for the swap. The 284 is the ****, the ultimate trans for a manual GM FWD.... Im not going to use this now anyway, i already have the motor and trans set up on the 88 cradle, i just want to test the water to see what this thing is worth.

So no bad mouth takin' here. i guess my original post was not clear.

Rob

on_cradle3.jpg

all i can see is the nice clean flat uncracked garage floor

man i need a garage

oh malibuolds my camry axle is that long with a seperation joint in the middle

saw a newer one at the yard today when i was getting a part. the axle was that long without a seperation joint

fun things those are (i know you know what i mean!)

good luck with your project qwik

is that a brand new engine? :shock: Then again, it looks like mine did six months ago :D Anyway, while you have that thing out, make some headers for it. Fieros have so much room that it is rather simple.

Dave no worries, not trying to flame ya, i was just excited about finding that 284. i had been looking for one for years.

I will go back to the original car tomorrow, and see what is left. My local yard is like sharks in chumed water. things go FAST... some of the stuff may be gone.

The car was black, with Grey leather interior, what got me was the bucket seats in the back, with a arm rest between them. No putting 5 people in that car.

Thanks for all the kind words about the project. I would love to "build" headers for it, but i dont have the skills, and the folks who do, are only interested in doing it for the 91-95 motors, not the 96+. I guess the money in not in it.

im working on the harness now, it is a pain in the ***

Rob