Fiero Owners, Info. Please

jeffcanada

Hello Fiero Owners,

Until now, I've never really given the Fiero a second look. For the most part all the one's I've seen haven't looked too appealing; they've been boxy and the lines are too straight [i don't like all the stupid Ferrari and Lamb. body kits either; you gotta be a complete moron to spend $10000+ on one of those (prices I've seen on ebay)]. But the other day, I saw one for sale, nice burgandy, and a sleeker/curvier looking body (a GT); just a model year that I hadn't ever seen in person before I guess. I am toying with picking it up, or at least searching around for one with the same body style. It really ocurred to me; why the hell am I dragging a 4 door heavy sedan around, wasting power and gas, when there are never more than 2 people in my car?

So, a few questions:

1. Easy to work on? (I know they are engine-wise, be it 2.8L or 3.1L; I mean other than the engines)

2. Model specific problems?

3. What do they weigh?

3. And related, how quick are they? How quick are the V6's vs. the 4 cylinders?

4. How do they handle?

5. Are parts readily available?

Thanx,

Jeff

1. Easy to work on? (I know they are engine-wise, be it 2.8L or 3.1L; I mean other than the engines)

- Yes very easy the 2.5 Duke is a snap so is the 2.8, the only two stock choices, but you can swap in a 3.4, a HO Quad 4, a 3800, Northstar or almost any v8

- Don't buy and '84, they had the most quirks plus no v6, the '88s had the best suspension

3. What do they weigh?

- not quite sure, I don't remember

- stock v6 ran a mid 15s 1/4 when they came out, the duke is a dog

4. How do they handle?

- They handle like they are on rails......there is NO pwr steering, but you don't need it....my two fieros were two of the best handling cars I have ever owned including LS1Camaro, 3 Probes (2GTs), Z3, Eclipse Spyder, etc.....

- I found it easier to find parts for my Fieros then I do for my Cutty. They are all over boneyards and most of the parts were in tons of other GM products.

go visit Cliff and the other 8500+ members at http://www.fiero.nl they will help you find the perfect Fiero for you....we are like cult members over there

Later

they are damned light, but do not expect to see over 20 mpg on those things. Not sure why, but all of the people that i have known to have those did not get above 20 mpg, even though the damned things weigh next to nothing. But they are fun little cars. Don't expect to hold more than 6 grocery bags in it though.

kfahn, your friends must have lead feet. Before my engine swap i was getting 25-30 MPG in my 88 Coupe w/ 2.5L

A little more info. First visit http://www.fiero.nl This is "THE" fiero forum and any and all ??? can be asked here.

Read all the threads, ask ?? have fun, its a great site.

Now some quick info. 88 is the best year, best suspension/brake combo but parts are $$$ and hard to find. Stay away from 84's. GT's give you the WS6 suspension but its just better springs and sway bar size... Fieros only came with 2.5L 4cyl and 2.8 V6... auto and three diff manual's. 4 speed a 5 speed Getrag or 5 speed Isuzu trans. No big diff here, some like the 4, some the Getrag. I know folks who have the 5 speed Isuzu hooked up to SBC engines no issues.

All GM FWD engines will bolt up, some easier than others, but the most popular now have been the 3800 SC motors and the cadi 4.9 V8 Like i said, SBC will work, visit V8Archie.com for more on V8 in a fiero.

Easy to work on??? Depends on your skill level and your tools. but overall yes. Parts, if you get a 85-87, you will find almost anything you need on Ebay, Pennocks forum or your local Junkyard.

They are handle like Go-carts, small light-weight and cheap.

I love my 88, like anything once you get started, you will find that fiero owners can be just addicted to thier cars as anyone else....

Rob

testone.jpg

kfahn, your friends must have lead feet. Before my engine swap i was getting 25-30 MPG in my 88 Coupe w/ 2.5L

A little more info. First visit http://www.fiero.nl This is "THE" fiero forum and any and all ??? can be asked here.

Read all the threads, ask ?? have fun, its a great site.

Now some quick info. 88 is the best year, best suspension/brake combo but parts are $$$ and hard to find. Stay away from 84's. GT's give you the WS6 suspension but its just better springs and sway bar size... Fieros only came with 2.5L 4cyl and 2.8 V6... auto and three diff manual's. 4 speed a 5 speed Getrag or 5 speed Isuzu trans. No big diff here, some like the 4, some the Getrag. I know folks who have the 5 speed Isuzu hooked up to SBC engines no issues.

All GM FWD engines will bolt up, some easier than others, but the most popular now have been the 3800 SC motors and the cadi 4.9 V8 Like i said, SBC will work, visit V8Archie.com for more on V8 in a fiero.

Easy to work on??? Depends on your skill level and your tools. but overall yes. Parts, if you get a 85-87, you will find almost anything you need on Ebay, Pennocks forum or your local Junkyard.

They are handle like Go-carts, small light-weight and cheap.

I love my 88, like anything once you get started, you will find that fiero owners can be just addicted to thier cars as anyone else....

Rob

testone.jpg

i tinted windows on a 85 twice

he pumped the 2.8 to a 3.4 pushrod he was 16 his dad helped him

his dad was into them he had 6

4 with iron dukes and 2 with the 2.8

make me wonder if they still have the third white one with the iron duke that had a hole in the piston maybe i could get it and rebuild it if not done

make me think :idea: 8)

they are damned light, but do not expect to see over 20 mpg on those things. Not sure why, but all of the people that i have known to have those did not get above 20 mpg, even though the damned things weigh next to nothing. But they are fun little cars. Don't expect to hold more than 6 grocery bags in it though.

my 4 banger('84) still got 30mpg in 1999 and my 2.8('86) still got ~27mpg in when I sold her in 2002 ......

they do still pass the most important cargo test, you can put you golf clubs in the trunk :D

I have a cutlass intl, and a 88 Fiero. I've had the Fiero for about a year now, and I love it..... I'll try n help:

Yes, very easy. suspension easy, brakes easy..nothing out of the ordinary. Now, that doesn't mean they are without problems. Espesially for their age. Be preparied for broken bolts, and replacing some of the more troubling area's of ownership. EGR valve & parking brake cables.

84's wiring harness caused a recall. "THE" recall for which eveyone relates the Fiero & fire.

3. What do they weigh?

That depends on the model. Anywhere from 2600-2900 lbs.

The v-6 is 100 times better in all aspects of ownership to the inline 4.

4. How do they handle?

They handle amazing..I mean that. Mine is an 88 Formula, and it is the single reason I bought a Fiero. Everything else in the car could use some upgrades, handling is the one thing from the factory that is SOLID. If you are looking into a Fiero, and are looking for a car that handles, just look and compair the 88 Fiero's to all other years.

Yes. The car is/was so popular that there are a LOT of places to get parts.

I don't know how you are with a wrench, but I cannot stress enough that although very reliable, these cars are 16+ years old. I as well was never turned on to Fiero's, and just as you said , they are kinda boxy, and reeked of 80's styling, BUT!, I was dumbfounded by their potential:

Look at this:

194h.jpg

That is just bad ass.