Newer Gauges on My 90 Lumina

Thabulldog

I have the optional gauges on my Euro. Since I have a 90, my gauges are unlike any other years, thats why I can't get the speedhut gauges. If I got newer gauges, with the different type of writing, would it be a direct plug into the harness? Thanks

The speedhut gauges are nothing more than an overlay on the gauges. You will still use the same cluster. As for the different years, as long as it's the cluster with the tach, they are interchangeable. If you had the base cluster, then rewiring would be involved

The speedhut gauges are nothing more than an overlay on the gauges. You will still use the same cluster. As for the different years, as long as it's the cluster with the tach, they are interchangeable. If you had the base cluster, then rewiring would be involved

The 90's had a different scale on the speedo and tach as well as different lettering. So I don't think it would match up right.

Not to hijack a thread or anything...but I'm looking into getting another lumina very soon...and there is a base model same color as my old euro with low miles that I'm thinking about getting. Thing is I hate the base model gauge cluster so if i wanted to use my euro cluster is there alot of different wiring that has to be done or is it just a few minro wires. Also has anybody on here done it with success?

The scale is the same, the 90 model used a different font and the speedo started with 5mph instead of 10 like the rest. That is about the only difference between the two sets of gauges.

As for upgrading the cluster, yes it can be done. It does require rewiring the connector and quite a few of us have done it successfully.

Not to hijack a thread or anything...quote]

Any Lumina owner is more than welcome to hijack my threads :D

We all have something in common, we own the most hated w-body :lol:

Ok, the cluster I might be getting has a voltimeter rather than oil pressure. Would the hook up be any different? Would anyone happen to have diagrams? Thanks!

The only thing you would have to do is replace the oil pressure sender with a switch. Otherwise the cluster will plug in. No other changes needed.

I need an explanation of why the Lumina is the most hate W-body ( I Love My Zoomina)

i know i love my z! do tell.

You guys are too new to know about the hatred this board has for Luminas. The Cutlass and GP owners like to call our cars "parts cars". Regal owners dont say much because there aren't that many of them. This is a board with mostly GP owners, Regals and Lumis are the minority. Even though there is a huge influx of new users with Luminas. :D By the way, Zoomina is the name of my car, hence my AOL screen-name. :wink:

i accually like the luminas i wouldnt mind owning one

ill sell you mine :)

I too have a deep thing for my lumina, but it was to old, and a gas guzzler, which i dont need. so its up for sale locally :( im gonna miss it

John

You guys are too new to know about the hatred this board has for Luminas. The Cutlass and GP owners like to call our cars "parts cars". Regal owners dont say much because there aren't that many of them. This is a board with mostly GP owners, Regals and Lumis are the minority. Even though there is a huge influx of new users with Luminas. :D By the way, Zoomina is the name of my car, hence my AOL screen-name. :wink:

Yuppers there does seem to be a certain disdain for Lumina owners on here, and I don't know why. I have nothing against any W. I have three of them, and Love my Lumina as much as the other two. I must really love it, I chose to use it as my user name on here.

We Lumina owners need to stick together.

BTW I call my Lumina "Blackie" it is a Solid black Lumina Euro, so I took the obvious nick.

Page 2 OWN3D!!

bah.. I think you gotta own one to appreciate one. I pretty much hated them until I picked up my '92. Now I wish I would have kept it around for a second car.. damn good car it was.

There used to be more of us Regal owners, even 4dr'rs like me. They just moved on. Usually we get picked on for our fake wood dashes and grandpa steering wheels. I like mine but then I changed the steering wheel and dash cluster. Mine now has the full digital. My tach numbers run up while the bar graph crosses over the top, very cool.

I would like to get extra pieces and do a dark granite contact paper thing over the fake wood.

I love the Euro 4drs and Z34 bodies. All the plain Lumina needs is nicer wheels. My custom has the same flaw. Check out my WWW site, even though it needs updated.

For my Regal, the base cluster and the analog guages used the same connector wiring. I had to rewire for the Japan made full digital cluster.

So I'd agree that your cluster should be a straight plug in. The voltmeter just reads the incoming juice to the cluster. It's my understanding that if you have the oil pressure sender, (variable output), your idiot light, (meant for the oil pressure switch), will dim and brighten as oil pressure changes. Brighter when low, dimmer when high.

I haven't changed out my switches for senders yet so my water temp reads 0 and my oil pressure reads max. The display also has right triangle shaped red lights below the graphs that will light up if water gets hot or oil pressure drops. At that point my water temp graph will go to max and my oil graph to zero. Switches....all or nothing. I gotta get those senders.

And thank goodness for the TPG guys for their ABS brake knowledge, and the GP guys for making me see that my grandpa car was really a GP in diguise.

And the Cutty guys for having the cars that I want most. 2dr with the converible taillight treatment.

I think the blue interior in the Regal is nasty with the fake wood. Light grey and Tan works, and I hate to say it...because I'm so tired of red interiors...but....Red goes really well with it. Especially if you get the wheel dyed black to match the shifter, then find a black center console lid pad to go with it all.

The burled Rosewood looks much nicer, (only my humble opinion) than the 88 to 90 straight grained ??? wood. More Jaguarish.

GOD! I FUCKING HATE LUMINAS! They're nothing more than parts cars for Grand Prix's and Cutty's. I don't even know why GM made them. They should have just called them Chevy Metal-Rolling-Piece-Of-Shit-With-An-Ugly-Emblem. Fucking hell. Now I know why C-REX wanted to put a Civic front end on his Lumina: He was EMBARASSED. You fucking pathetic Lumi owners. Don't even get me started on those Buick Grandpa-mobiles. I'm suprised "Oxygen Tank" wasn't an option. Regals are ugly too. Get a real car...

Jesum croy... :lol:

GOD! I FUCKING HATE LUMINAS! They're nothing more than parts cars for Grand Prix's and Cutty's. I don't even know why GM made them. They should have just called them Chevy Metal-Rolling-Piece-Of-Shit-With-An-Ugly-Emblem. Fucking hell. Now I know why C-REX wanted to put a Civic front end on his Lumina: He was EMBARASSED. You fucking pathetic Lumi owners. Don't even get me started on those Buick Grandpa-mobiles. I'm suprised "Oxygen Tank" wasn't an option. Regals are ugly too. Get a real car...

you are a very troubled person................. :fruity:

He's a Digital Information Center that owns a Lumina and a Regal but only drives them at night when he's going out of town.

Cheer up *outsider, It's obvious you have a little import up your *ss. :roll:

Hypocrite!!:

From the thread "I HATE MINIVANS" in the Whatever Section:

Don't say that about bad luck. I'm flirting with 2 head gaskets starting to blow and a power steering whine. Damn cold weather! It's the weather thats making everyone drive like morons, not our beautiful W-Bodies having bad luck.

:( I hope those head gaskets don't go out. I'm finally getting around to fixing my GP up with the help of Gearhead43. Poor Lumina.