Hood release cable replacement

grandprix104

has anyone done this? I just bought the cable and will be replacing it the firs chance i get. Some questions: how long does it take, what all needs to be removed, and where does it enter the firewall?

Thanks

I haven't done it, but I probably should!

My hood release still works, but it's not easy and smooth. It takes some force. Once when I had the battery out, I saw the plastic covering was broken away and there was rusty bare cable exposed. That was probably 8-9yrs ago. I'll get to it one of these days. :lol:

Back around 1998, the hood release+cable assemblies went for about $40 retail. My sister's Cutlass at the time needed a new handle, but the cable was fine, so I kept the cable to replace mine and just put the new handle on her old cable and all was well. They sell them as an assembly, BTW. Can't get one without the other even if handle is still good and vice versa.

I know that wasn't very helpful, but it's not like you were getting any other replies. :lol:

mine broke and i just don't want to fix it. I don't even have any cable left to open mine from the inside. I have to go in the front of the car, stick mu hand up behind the grill and grab gix little piece of cable. It sucks when it is snowning or raning, but still works. Now i can get under the hood of any w-body, so dont mess wth me! lol

well i replaced it this morning. heres the process

1. remove air cleaner housing

2. peal back the carpet by the front seat

3. remove the one screw holding n the handle

4. under the hood remove the cable from the latch and retaining clips tracing it back to the firwall

5. clip off the end of the cable

6. start pulling the biatch through the firewall into the engine compartment

7. get a pair of pliers and rip the plug out of the firewall (it threads in but doesnt like to come out so just yank on it a bit)

8. thread the new cable in the firwall through the engine compartment and along the rout of the old cable

9. snap the cable into the latch

10. screw in the handle and replace the carpet

DONE

Easy!!