3428.60$ Later....

Maverick

Got the final price from the transmission shop as to the cost of replacing my 1st and 3rd gear synchros, 5gear shift fork, input shaft, and replacement of the clutch. They have had the car a total of 17days now. I go to pick it up tommorw morning. I want to cry....

$3428.60 ??

god damn

you could buy another car for that much

stupid mechanics

I WOULD have bought another car for that price....and a pretty decent one too.....

...I really hope that they took you to dinner first, cuz you are taking it up the a$$

.....I thought that someone might have gotten a supercharger installed :?

thats bullshit! FUCK THEM don't go pick it up or pay for it just go buy a friggin new tranny! U could get a brand new case and internals for that much, let alone a rebuild. HOPE THEY KISSED U BEFORE THEY FUCKED U! :shock:

These guys were telling me that to get a brand new transmission it would cost them 3500$ from GM. So instead of opting for that route they went and ended up buying a transmission from a donor car in the next province over. They said the clutch itself was something huge for prices. This is all due to it being a manual transmission that was only in production for 3 years apperently. If they said they called GM to get parts, and GM said that they dont make them anymore would that sound right?

These guys were telling me that to get a brand new transmission it would cost them 3500$ from GM. So instead of opting for that route they went and ended up buying a transmission from a donor car in the next province over. They said the clutch itself was something huge for prices. This is all due to it being a manual transmission that was only in production for 3 years apperently. If they said they called GM to get parts, and GM said that they dont make them anymore would that sound right?

yes that is true the 284 parts are not made the only way to get parts is exacly what they did buy a used trans or used parts

i understand that these transmission are not cheep to fix used input shaft for a T5 is 150 alone not including the other parts that had to be replaced

manuals are easaly 1500 for rebuild and that does not include the labor on R&R from car back in car

i allways say take the time to drop it and carry it in it will cost less if you do the majority of the work drain the trans too so you don't get stuck with fluid disposal

Mavrick who did the work?

Mister Transmission down on Macloud Trail. Near Chinook Mall

I'm guessing that is in CANADIAN CURRENCY right??

Yes, yes it is.

Hell thye prob told u that it was gonna be that much tho right?

Nope, I didnt get a price befor they finished. They just started workin on it befor they let me know the price. For this I am none to pleased.

Damn, did you tell them to work on it before giving you an estimate? I would scream and holler at them if they worked on my car before giving me an estimate. I hope you guys catch them bastards in a scam. That price is huge.

You just got OWNED by a shitty rebuilt place, tell them 2 put it back how they found it and tow it the fuck outta there, go in there screaming and hollering lawsuit and how u were quoted at $1600 for a complete rebuild.

They didnt provide u an estimate before that kinda work, theres gotta be legal implications of failing to do so.

-Jeff

according to kelly blue book.com, my car isn't even worth that much

$3000 max, and i know i'd never get that much money for it

....someone got ass raped.......

shove that trans up their ass :devil:

Since I can't get to a scanner till monday, here is a text verison of the bill they gave me:

Discription

Remove transmission, disassemble, clean, assemble with new compnents, install, and make necessart adjustmens ------- 1,312.00

Parts

New Clutch kit includes

--disc

--release bearing

--pilot

--resurface flywheel

3rd gear and syncro

5th gear shift fork

1st gear syncro ring

reverse gear syncro ring

fluid with additive

Subtotal 3228.60

GST 226.00

Total $3,454.60

You shouldn't have picked it up man, that's all I can say.

So what should I have done? Just left them with a car, and continue bumming rides, while a 6thousand doller car sits in a parkinglot?

Guest TurboSedan

i think i would have gone with a used Getrag 282! i got my 110,000 mile 282 for $160, but i had to spend another $115 for a throwout bearing shaft, $55 for a bearing, and another $35 to get those installed. i swapped the trans myself, so about $400 altogether. even if they do the R&R, i couldn't imagine paying that much.

joshua