Oil In Pipes!

dkorinko

Some people have been telling me that its normal and others tell me its not. When i take a part my intercooler pipes there is a little amount of oil all throughout them. And it goes all the way up to the throttle body. I was just wondering if maybe this oil was normal...or not??? Someone told me maybe the seals on my turbo are going and oil is getting cycled through???? Any ideas...i am a little clueless about it!

It depends on if you have the front valve cover breather piped to the intake before the turbo. If you do it is normal to have some oil in the charge air piping. If you do not have it piped in then most likely you have a seal leaking a touch. Or your oil return line is kinking causing the oil to blow by the seals.

Reason I say ok if the breather is piped in...the front breather will have some oil vapor in it. When it goes into the turbo it is condensed again and will coat the inside of the intercooler and piping all the way to the TB and beyond. Over time the coating will condense even more and make pools in places that gravity pulls it to... 8)

I have a breather on my car but its just a little K&N filter that comes off the valve cover and DOES NOT connect to the intake! Like i said, its not a lot of oil but theres some. I really dont think one of the lines is bent but hey i guess it could happen...I had to toy around with some stuff when i did the new intercooler and it is possible a knocked something a little off.... :?

if you have never replaced your oil return line(approximately 5/8 inch hose comes out the bottom of turbo goes to pipe leading to oil pan) you may want to. My tgp has 68,000 miles on it and my oil return line was about 80% collapsed when I cut it off. Do not replace it with a cheap substitute. The inner lining of some of the cheap hoses will peal away from the inner body of the hose due to the heat causing this to block your oil return flow. I bought my oil return line form Jeff M. and that thing is like twice as heavy duty as the original one I cut off. I was experiencing the same thing with the oil in my hoses leading to the throttle body and since replacing it I have noticed that it cleared up. I'm sure you can find this type of hose somewhere else but I've come to trust Jeff in the last year when it comes to knowing what these cars need and the problems associated with them. Dale M. Omaha, NE.

That sounds like it would be a pretty good idea...how much did the new line cost u and how hard was it to remove and replace it??? Is it something i could do in my garage or am i gonna have to take it somewhere???? Thanks for the help.

I don't know how much Jeff charges for the line but it is a fix you can do in your garage. It should just be a few clamps to remove. From what I hear the hardest part about it is getting the new hose in there (I guess they are really stiff!?!?) I haven't replaced mine yet but it is one of the things I plan to do in the next few months. I also remember reading somewhere that idbeast can get replacement line for a good price, that's if he is still offering this service.

i got 2 questions for ya! 1 would be..exactly what line am i replacing here...it goes from the bottom of the turbo to where??? I know i have seen the line a million times but its dark right now and i just dont feel like getting under a car so i thought i would ask, and it is the oil return line right???? 2nd question is...can u get some pics of ur car???? if that is YOUR car in ur signiture then i would have to say it looks pretty damn nice! :D

i got 2 questions for ya! 1 would be..exactly what line am i replacing here...it goes from the bottom of the turbo to where??? I know i have seen the line a million times but its dark right now and i just dont feel like getting under a car so i thought i would ask, and it is the oil return line right???? 2nd question is...can u get some pics of ur car???? if that is YOUR car in ur signiture then i would have to say it looks pretty damn nice! :D

I have a couple of pictures where the oil return line is pointed out if you want me to send them. Who is your second question directed towards?

Wow now i even have more questions for you....how did u get ur rims that good looking??? and what kind of tires do u have??? I need new ones and it looks like those have a really nice tread pattern on them. Thanks!

For the rims I use a old toothbrush to get into all the holes. Usually works great but is time consuming. The tires are Goodyear GS-C's. They were on the car when I bought it. They seem to be pretty good tires. Lots of grip around corners. They are a bit expensive so when I do get around to replacing them I'll probably try a different tire. Thanks for the compliments.

Mike