the Euro failed emissions....

Euro

My 94 Euro failed the emissions havin too many hydrocarbons released or something. they said it could be because i didnt have the CAT good and hot before i took it in. any other possibilities

I HATE illinois

how long did you drive it before having it tested?

good rule of thumb is 15 mins or more to get the cat hot enough to "light off" the emissions. then again i took my caprice in dead cold and my truck in with no cat and they both passed when i had them.

here in cali the car has to operating temp to test it

there are many things that can make a car not pass

dirty oil

dirty fuel injectors

dirty intake

dirty tb

bad or old plugs not fully firing

and a few other things

i would do a basic tune up if not done recently

i would also call dmv and ask if they will help pay for repairs here in cali they have to help as long as you request it

good luck

how many miles are on the cat? they say (i work at the emmissions place in illinois) that though you can get more out of a cat if you want it to mask problems such as a bad o2 sensor you should have under 80 thousand...tell me the standards for the car and how bad you failed and ill help u out

how many miles are on the cat? they say (i work at the emmissions place in illinois) that though you can get more out of a cat if you want it to mask problems such as a bad o2 sensor you should have under 80 thousand...tell me the standards for the car and how bad you failed and ill help u out

good!! you know more than me because i know the laws are different

i bow out of this one 8)

I would say the cat is stock, i think the whole exhaust system is. Although, there is a few holes in the pipes or cat, cause it is considerably louder than normal. my cars got 95k miles(looks like its got 45k), but the oil is new, fuel injectors are new, i think i do need a tune up, but most everything ive replaced in the last year. the part i failed was the Hydrocarbons part. the standard is .80 and my reading was 1.16.

yeah any help is great since you live near me and work at that place. thanks!

your cat will probably be fine and your readings are pretty close. alot of times even though people say to put heet in for the carbon monoxide it will still help your hydros because the hydros is the unburned fuel that comes out....what kind of gas do you use...the better burning the better aka premium and the heet helps for that.. another thing to check is when your hydros are up that your o2 sensor is telling the computer that it needs more fuel then it does...make sure your spark plugs are good and beat the hell out of your car to get the cat really hot cuz if there is a bad sensor the cat should burn up the excess fuel

go to the parts store. there is some stuff u can buy that will garentee you to pass the emissions test. follow the directions on the can. They sell it here in South Dakota, but we have no emmissions testing. go figure.

Emissions tests suck. Especially now since my dad's friends shop was sold for 20 million to put up apartments. I used to always pass because we used some shady shit to pass the car, like using my dads car on the dyno or not putting the probe all the way in. Now with my bad EGR valve and leaky head gasket again, I am going to have a very hard time passing.

cali does emmissions testing only there is no driveality or safty inspection

when i was back home a few years ago i was a tow truck driver in kansas witch doesn't have yearly safty tests and i have seen the accedents from faulty or warn out parts that make the car driveable

i think it is just plain stupid for cali to do just a smog test and not a safty test it can cause fatlity accedents seeing what it can cause first hand makes me more of a defencive driver because who knows what is wrong with other cars on the road that can break at anytime and get you caught up in a bad accedent

thats just MO on the subject

Few ideas for passing an emissions test:

top end cleaner

02 sensor

pop the egr valve off and make sure its not clogged up

fuel injector cleaner

plugs and wires

high octaine gas

every1 says check the cat, check the cat

Ive gotten cars that shouldnt have passed emissions to pass with just by cleaning the plugs, egr valve and running top end cleaner thru a motor.

yet to fail doe to emissions, but 8 times becuase I dont run a front plate, go figure.

-Jeff