high pitched sound comming from the motor

Dan94Z34

when I started my z34 this morning, I heard a high pitched sound comming from the engine. Its not very loud. The best way I can describe it is a high pitched tone in a hearing test. The sound is steady, and can only hear it at idle. any ideas what it could be.

I think I know what you're talking about. I have a 3100 but maybe it's the same situation. I think it may be, what I call, an "intake wheeze". When ever I shut of the engine, the "wheeze" will dissapate.

when its colder out my powersteering pump makes a godawful whining noise, i have a feeling im gonna need a new one by this summer, that could be your problem, does it go away after the car is warmed up or after its been running a while?

when I started my z34 this morning, I heard a high pitched sound comming from the engine. Its not very loud. The best way I can describe it is a high pitched tone in a hearing test. The sound is steady, and can only hear it at idle. any ideas what it could be.

clearly the motor is possessed by demons.....the nasty type. Id sell it and buy a minivan if I were u

when its colder out my powersteering pump makes a godawful whining noise, i have a feeling im gonna need a new one by this summer, that could be your problem, does it go away after the car is warmed up or after its been running a while?

Mine does that too... I doubt his problem is the PS pump.. thats really loud. Mine went out last winter and due to the fact I was supposed to leave on a trip that afternoon, a used pump was thrown in there. Its been a year and it still works, except when its cold, like you said.. it whines and groans like a mofo.

clearly the motor is possessed by demons.....the nasty type. Id sell it and buy a minivan if I were u

hahahaha!!! :lol:

I know my PS can be a little noisy sometimes in the cold too. I'd still say check the alternator. My friend has a GP with 145k on it and his alternator has gone 3 times. I luckily still have the original one!

hahahaha!!! :lol:

I know my PS can be a little noisy sometimes in the cold too. I'd still say check the alternator. My friend has a GP with 145k on it and his alternator has gone 3 times. I luckily still have the original one!

yeah, it sounds like the alternator... I think mines original (hey hey! just like my t-belt :lol: ) does it speed up with the engine? it souds kinda like a supercharger, lol

yeah there u go, it does kinda sound like a supercharger, it does increase with engine speed, but u rev the motor high u can't hear it over the engine. It diffently somthing spinning in there.

Yup.. Probably your alt.

I always joked that my Cutlass was supercharged because of the obnoxious whine the alternator emitted.

fun, isn't it :D

btw.... how long does the alt usually last when it starts making noise? (I think it's time to get a new one... and once I have parts for t-belt change, I'll change the alt at the same time :lol: )

My Cutlass's alt was whining when I bought it, and it finally died a week before I sold it. So it was whining for 5 months before it killed itself. The guy who bought it was lucky since it had a new alt installed already.

mine just started doing this about 2-3 days ago, car has the stock alternator (almost 10 years old) one the car warms up it goes away, guess its time to replace the alt.

Any reccomendations so I dont get a rebuilt pile of crap?