replacement gas tank

THe_DeTAiL3R

I'm wondering what year/models of gastank will fit on my '88 Grand Prix. Will one from other w-bodies of similar year work??

When it gets warmer out I'm gonna take off my tank and try to do a permanent fix on the tank, although its pretty rusty so I might aswell just get a used one for $60 and undercoat it.

I was also wondering if the new plastic tanks from 2000+ would work in the older w bodys. Weight reduction and rust-proof

not to jack the thread but does your lumina have a 2.5? why?

as to the original topic, im not sure about the different years, im guessing all of the pre96 should work since they have the same frame and everything, but since they changed all that in 97 im not sure if the new ones would work, youd have to get under there and see where it mounts and check out a newer style and compare the mounts and everything, you might be able to fabricate your own hangers or they might just be interchangeable, im not 100% sure on this so check before you buy anything

if its just a small hole, when you get it off, weld a patch of metal over it and grind it down and then sandblast the whole tank, clear coat it (like 3 or 4 times) and then you might want to add another layer or prtectant of some kind, like an material barier like some sort of plastic or something

weld a patch of metal over it

weld on a gas tank?

brillant! :lol2:

i can just imagine all the heat and sparks mixed with 16 years of gas fumes......

thats why you fill it with water, smart guy

derrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

:roll:

and then have water in your tank, which leads to water in fuel lines, and then to water in fuel injectors, and then to water in your engine

you'll never get all the water out of the tank once you are done

brillant once again! :nono:

i wonder how many professional mechanics would weld on a used gas tank over replacing it with a new one...

thats why u fill the tank full of gas and then weld. its much safer. yes it sounds stupid but gasoline itself is not flammable only the vapors are. i see guys do it all the time

and then have water in your tank, which leads to water in fuel lines, and then to water in fuel injectors, and then to water in your engine

you'll never get all the water out of the tank once you are done

brillant once again! :nono:

i wonder how many professional mechanics would weld on a used gas tank over replacing it with a new one...

give me a tank full of water and an oxy torch and a couple bottles of isoheet and ill have all of the water out within a few hours