Quick! PMIII ABS brake motor running all the time

Lee

It isn't running like it's loaded though, it growls up....then down. Errrrrrit/aherrrrrrr, over and over. It dims the lights like a pulse.

I shut the car off and restarted. The motor sounded like it should for a few seconds and then once the system was charged it started the cycle up/down thing again.

Note: For at least 1/2 a year the pump was running for one second or less at just about evey pedal use.

Have to check the fluid level yet but it was fine two weeks ago.

I'm at work and can't get out to check under the hood.

Sounds like a final on the accummulator, yes? Pressure switch, hope?

Try taking off the ABS fuse in the fuse box.

No no no no! You'll loose ALL power assisted braking capability if you do that!

The PowermasterIII is a electric system that relies on a pump to create pressure to assist the brakes.. Pulling the power to that would render the brakes completely useless.

If you haven't replaced the accumulator, then it might be a place to start.

I did end up pulling the fuse because I was worried about how the ABS motor was running. The brakes faded over a 13 minute period of time. Then I leaned over, put the fuse in and let the motor charge it up again. Hey, it got me the 35 miles home.

Chris A, over on the turbo board is helping me narrow the problem down. Looks like pressure switch so far.

As I contemplated pulling the fuse, I thought....there's no way they can make the car so that all brakes are gone if the fuse blows. But it did fade out to where they went to the floor with weak braking. I didn't test any further to see if they went out completely.

If you look at the pic under this sentence, to the very right side, That is the left side of the glovebox. My fuses are right behind there. So I got the glovebox open, the fuse cover open, leaning over, pulling it out and pushing it back in :shock:

Try taking off the ABS fuse in the fuse box.

No no no no! You'll loose ALL power assisted braking capability if you do that!

The PowermasterIII is a electric system that relies on a pump to create pressure to assist the brakes.. Pulling the power to that would render the brakes completely useless.

If you haven't replaced the accumulator, then it might be a place to start.

car's been running fine for 5 months with the ABS fuse out.... because if it's in, occaisionally, you can NOT press the brake pedal, 'cuz it's like the system is in reverse :lol:

start car with fuse in, and as soon as you move, it goes "sssshhhhhkkkkt" and the lights dim for a bit and the ABS light comes on

You can remove the fuse in the vacuum assisted ABS braking system (which is what your Lumina has) with no side effects, aside from not having ABS.

But with the PowermasterIII ABS system, as Lee said, he eventually lost his braking capability by pulling the fuse. Our ABS system has no vacuum assistance whatsoever, it's all electric. :shock:

You can remove the fuse in the vacuum assisted ABS braking system (which is what your Lumina has) with no side effects, aside from not having ABS.

But with the PowermasterIII ABS system, as Lee said, he eventually lost his braking capability by pulling the fuse. Our ABS system has no vacuum assistance whatsoever, it's all electric. :shock:

sucketh to be you :shock:

then wtf I got in my Z? PMII?

o.O