side mirror

shipman

Has anyone ever had to replace the glass of the side view mirrors? I clipped a mailbox today and shattered the passenger side mirror glass. I got a new one (just the glass, not the entire assembly) from a junk yard today. It has a plastic backing with clips on it that mount it to the swivel part inside the assembly. Is there any trick to get it on?? I am pushing with all my might, and can't get it to snap on. If I push any harder, I am afraid I am going to break the glass :?

Thanks in advance for any help.

OK, not that I gave you much time, but I'll answer my own post. I just swore at it some more and finally got it on. For a small fee, I'll tell you how I did it. Well, OK... I was able to jam a pair of channel lock pliers in through the top and squeeze the mirror and swivel mount together until it snapped. I used a piece of wood and a rag to cushion the mirror side from the plier teeth. Felt like the glass was about to break but it is on there in one piece.

Beware of mail boxes that jump out of nowhere and bonk you!

haha, my g/fs mom clipped mine and only broke the mirror, but they are rich and i got a whole new side view mirror, but it's not painted cause im too lazy to take it back up

Has anyone ever had to replace the glass of the side view mirrors? I clipped a mailbox today and shattered the passenger side mirror glass. I got a new one (just the glass, not the entire assembly) from a junk yard today. It has a plastic backing with clips on it that mount it to the swivel part inside the assembly. Is there any trick to get it on?? I am pushing with all my might, and can't get it to snap on. If I push any harder, I am afraid I am going to break the glass :?

Thanks in advance for any help.

I'm glad I have a P.O. Box :wink:

Aaron

The mail box was left completely intact, actually. I went back to clean up the glass and inspect the damage, and the mailbox barely had a scratch. It was a sturdy metal one... I think the owner has had his box whacked by passing motorists many a time judging by all the other miiror remnants in the grass that was not from mine!