pcv or pvc or whatever valve

zachismisit

Yah i went to replace my pcv valve last night and when I went to pull of the little vacuum hose on top, the elbow broke.

My first question is, how bad is it to run the car w/o the pcv connected

my second question is, where can i find the stock elbow, i have it ghetto rigged right now with a ford elbow, thankfully it is running fairly smoothly but niether Napa nor O'reilys had the part made specifically for the car. Am I going to have to get it through the dealership?

Third is how bad is it for the engine with the ghetto rigging, their is only a slight leakeage of air right now

Good luck finding another one. I broke a vaccumm elbow on my girlfriend's Saturn and no one including the dealership sells them. My soluting get some Goop (flexible silicone type glue) and and glue the damn thing back together. It seems to have worked okay. But I'd say thats about your only option aside from going to a junkyard. The good part about getting one from a junkyard is that most GM cars seem to use the same size 90 degree elbows, the hard part is finding/getting one thats not broken or about to break. The problem is the extreme heat under the hood bakes the plasticizers out of the rubber/plastic and the pieces become brittle. Kind of like what happens to a dash exposed to the sun too long, only more drastic.

Oh, and you can run without the PCV system hooked up, but you'll see a marked decrease in gas mileage.

Don't get the same hose. Just go to your local Autoparts store and buy a fuel hose because it's flexible. It is about 1 feet in length and you have to cut it to match the original length of your PCV hose. I think the original pcv on my 3.1L V6 is about 5 inches.

I ended up doing the same thing last time I worked on my car. I bought a fuel hose to fix it right then but ordered a hose from the dealer, grand total for the official GM hose $3.14.