Starting Issues

Mizouse

This problem has been going on for some time. I have never really tried to fix it because it always fixes itself. The problem: About once a month, sometimes more (espeically when cold), sometimes less my Cutlass just refuses to start. Turn the key and nothing happens, all of the electrical equipment comes on, but the starter does not crank at all, no clicking or anything, just silent. I can tell it is drawing power when I try to start it because my radar detector shuts off and comes back on again. I read in a post a while ago about some kind of neutral problem and how putting in in neutral and trying will work, not here. Tried it, same thing. The reason I have never had it fixed is because when this happens, I just wait about 5 minutes and it starts up. My uncle suggested that it could be the starter solenoid, but other than that I have had little or no help with the problem. I just think it is some weird elecrical thing, but was curious to see if anyone else has had a similar problem.

This problem has been going on for some time. I have never really tried to fix it because it always fixes itself. The problem: About once a month, sometimes more (espeically when cold), sometimes less my Cutlass just refuses to start. Turn the key and nothing happens, all of the electrical equipment comes on, but the starter does not crank at all, no clicking or anything, just silent. I can tell it is drawing power when I try to start it because my radar detector shuts off and comes back on again. I read in a post a while ago about some kind of neutral problem and how putting in in neutral and trying will work, not here. Tried it, same thing. The reason I have never had it fixed is because when this happens, I just wait about 5 minutes and it starts up. My uncle suggested that it could be the starter solenoid, but other than that I have had little or no help with the problem. I just think it is some weird elecrical thing, but was curious to see if anyone else has had a similar problem.

The starter is not necessarily drawing power when you crank. When you turn the key to the 'start' position the accessories are supposed to go off. This allows the starter to draw more power from the battery during the cranking process.

I would hazzard a guess and say the starter relay does not like the cold, time to replace/repair it.

Cheers

D

its your starter solenoid mine did that all the time till it just stopped workin well only thing i can tell ya is just change the starter not just the solenoid cause i changed the solenoid but it kept doin it so just change the starter use your old shim not the new one cause the new one is too thin

okay

Jeremy

I would think it might be that chip in your key. I read that if it gets wet or dirty it won't let you start your car. Theft feature.

I'm going to rule that out. If it is a security problem, the "SECURITY" light will come on the dash, and stay on. Also, the car will not start for 8 minutes, and if you try to start it again within that time, it will add another 2 minutes each time you try to start it within the 8 minutes. Don't quote me exactly on those times, but I know that I'm close.

Aaron

I'm not entirely convinced it is just the starter. That goofy "Security" light just decides to come on sometimes. Sometimes when starting the car, and sometimes just in the middle of a trip. Strange. How lucky for me, it could be both. What is the best place to get the new keys made? GM dealer or will other places do it too? Thanks for all the help.

i had a similiar problem on a taurus ( please no stones ). it turned out to be the battery connections were bad and not enough current was getting to the starter.

make sure all your starter/battery connections are tight and clean...

i had a similiar problem on a taurus ( please no stones ). it turned out to be the battery connections were bad and not enough current was getting to the starter.

make sure all your starter/battery connections are tight and clean...

very very good idea, a corroded/broken connector could very likely be the culprit

my guess is that it is more than likely the starter solenoid - better just to replace thew whole starter cause it will soon follow the way of the solenoid.

Good way to test the solenoid is when it freezes up go bang on it with a hammer/tire iron and try to start again. if it works thiers your prob if not go bang harder and try again.

As far as keys go you can have the dealer make it or I know ACE Hardware will make them fore you with the proper chip installed. $30 bucks at my ACE and i know the dealerships carge around $40

I'm not entirely convinced it is just the starter. That goofy "Security" light just decides to come on sometimes. Sometimes when starting the car, and sometimes just in the middle of a trip. Strange. How lucky for me, it could be both. What is the best place to get the new keys made? GM dealer or will other places do it too? Thanks for all the help.

If your security light is coming on during a trip then your passlock system maybe failing which can cause starting problems. How many times does your security light blink (if at all) when you are having problems starting the car.

It might be the key but try your spare and if that doesnt work then it may be the security system itself. Which you can A)Replace which is a PITA, or B)By pass the stock GM security module (only reccomened if you have an aftermarket alarm system).

The security light doesn't usually turn on and off during the starting problems, it does hoever come on sometimes after the car finally starts as well as randomly in the middle of trips. The next time it happens I will try the other key to see if that might be the problem. I do have an aftermarket alarm on the car, so if anyone knows, how would I go about bypassing the stock GM security module? Thanks.

my real did this for a period of time but i dont remember how i solved it ill get back to you on that.............i gott stop smokng weed

nah...you just gotta return to the same "state of mind" you were in when you figured it out :lol: