Materials needed for x over pipe??

tgpguy21

I need to know what materials i need to get to fabricate my own x over pipe. has anyone built one of their own?? if so what materials did you use?? also what did you use to replace the bellows??? any help would be appreciated. :D

why couldnt you guys just say where they were getting them from??

No kidding! Why even bother showing the cross-over if there's going to be a "we're not at liberty to discuss it" attitude? :?

I'd like a Jeff M one, but nearly $900 (I'll need 2) to fix just 1 problem is a bit steep right now, considering all the expenses involved with getting both turbos up and running properly. They'll both need a complete overhaul of everything, from vacuum lines, to struts, to tune-up, and preferably all with performance parts. So a cheaper fix for now would definitely be helpful.

No kidding! Why even bother showing the cross-over if there's going to be a "we're not at liberty to discuss it" attitude? :?

I'd like a Jeff M one, but nearly $900 (I'll need 2) to fix just 1 problem is a bit steep right now, considering all the expenses involved with getting both turbos up and running properly.

Well I will tell you what. You do something to a TGP that Jeff M has done and currently makes money from and offer up info of how to "Do It Yourself" and see just how many flamed posts you get and how many threatening emails and PM's you get and see how enthusiastic you are about doing it!!!

I discussed it with TWalt about where he got the flex bellows from and he told me to have everyone ask RedZMonte to avoid any further issues with mods from this forum. Apperantly it is the same supplier. I personally have no idea where they came from!

Best person to ask where the bellows are best supplied from is Jeff M as far as I am concerned... 8)

I'd like a Jeff M one, but nearly $900 (I'll need 2) to fix just 1 problem is a bit steep right now, considering all the expenses involved with getting both turbos up and running properly.

Well I will tell you what. You do something to a TGP that Jeff M has done and currently makes money from and offer up info of how to "Do It Yourself" and see just how many flamed posts you get and how many threatening emails and PM's you get and see how enthusiastic you are about doing it!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: Nice try, but I think if you look at the detailed crossover post work you and twalt did, there is no reply posting by me is there?? :wink: Quit looking to start a flame, its been nice and quite here and very productive for those in need of help with their TGP.

Jeff M

TGP Moderator

Sorry to say this, it’s only to educate others from my research, and I encourage others to confirm this but I checked these site links (again) and they still make the flex/bellow parts with T304, not safe for the heat of a turbo pipe before the turbo. Also the welding attachment points of the flex body looks like mild steel, not something you can weld and make last when joined to T409 of the crossover pipe. My books tell me no T304 before the turbo, and other turbo suppliers do not sell any T304 for use in pipes or bellows before the turbo as T304 will not last there, only T409 and T320(?) and Inconel. Back a few years ago I found a few turbo suppliers that sold bellows for use before the turbo and were made with T409 but they were $65 each and were too long for use in these TGP pipes. The ones I use have Inconel bellows and a T409 liner and a T409 body and come from a Tier 1 OEM suppliers, and I was lucky they would even talk to me doing such a small run purchase, and the only way I got them to deal with me was to have another large business/the welding shop I use be the buyer, and I personally cannot even get these but it did not matter since the bottom line is I WAS able to get these for the pipes (and the welders install these along with new flanges and repair/re-weld all the seems). Fortunately this does not stop others from finding ones that will work, and like TGPilot and Twalt, can post those findings here :wink: .

Just some info, but at least those long bellows can be used in custom made crossover pipes like those for custom installs and custom made pipes for larger turbos that have been discussed many times before on this board 8) .

Jeff M

Well guys I have had my TGP for about two and a half mounths now. The first thing I had to do was repair the leaking y-pipe. I did quite a bit of research on how and what to do. We all know the first two options are, GM or Jeff M. Being the cheap bastard that I am, I decided to repair them myself I found a place in Coloardo that makes the stainless (T-304) flex joints, but Jeff is absolutely correct about using this grade of stainless, No Good!! In other words the best thing going and the cheapest is the Jeff M. crossover. I just recieved mine a few days ago and finihed the install last night. Oh did I mention that I am a welder by trade, AWS certified welding inspector, with a background in metallurgy.

Work Smarter not Harder...

JDW

I am not looking for an argument! By no means am I saying Jeff's cross-overs aren't a piece of artwork! This is purely info about the bellows found for the DIY guys. As far as I am concerned this is just an educated discussion about flex-bellows I suppose...Your cross-overs obviously work Jeff and looks excellent. 8)

but Jeff is absolutely correct about using this grade of stainless, No Good!!

Why is T304 "No Good"? Please educate me... 8)

Oh did I mention that I am a welder by trade, AWS certified welding inspector, with a background in metallurgy.

Work Smarter not Harder...

JDW

What technique did you use to weld the bellows to the cross-over? Did you use or remove the mild steel nipples on the bellows? 8)

TGPilot you are correct. The key differance is the "inconel". Inconel is much more ductile than T304 & T409 which are both designated as A 240 heat-resisting chromium and chromium-nickle stainless per ASTM. The T409 nipple is used only as a shield & guide. The A420 materials can handle the heat just fine but not the expansion and contraction for as long as the inconel. I ment T304 No Good compared to inconel. Check out ASTM volume 01.03 for more info on these materials.

so whats the decision?? will t304 work just as good if not better than t409. im not planning on racing this car or anything. just a daily driver. also whats the preffed method of welding for this. The guy at my work is saying that hell probably do TIG. :think:

Hyeboy Wrote:

I'd just feel more confident long-term with a Jeff M pipe. I just need a temporary, cheaper alternative that will last a while, because $400 for one fix is way way WAY out of my budget right now.

Very well put...

Now just to try and help out a little bit...

t304 will not work just as good if not better than t409

t409 is better, Inconel is best.

t304 will work for a very temporary fix, which is what you are after. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: