semi serious car shopping

musthavemuzk

i like my 90 cutty, but have been kinda looking for a new car.

i really would like to have the 3800 S/C but i know i will pay for it both in price as well as insurance.

so i am entertaining the idea of the same motor without the S/C.

of course the new car would be a w-body unless i stumbled upon a bonny with the S/C verry cheap.

do not want..

the 3.4 DOHC

the quad 4

would like a drop top but with where i live i will have to pass

wants..

more power that what i have but still have good fuel economy as i drive 25,000 plus a year.

graphite interior no leather cloth is fine

prefer black exterior but that is not in stone

something that i have more options for aftermarket parts. both looks and performance.

PL, PW, and trunk too as i want to have or get an alarm and remote starter.

cars on the list...

the quad headlight cutlass and prix's 92-94 i think i love the quad lights

the prix's that come with the b4u package. i love the looks of those.

the 97-01 or is it 02 prix's. i like the wide body look and there is alot of options for parts.

i like the regals but not sure as buick's tend to cost more around here and not as plentiful. then again that would be a good thing.

basically i am trying to find out engine options for some of these.

plus what one might have over another for options.

Monty

Did you see the GP they have at Northern there? Didn't look at it too closely, but it looked dang clean. Price seemed to be way high, as it always is there. Talk to ol' Merlin.. he'll hook ya up :?

try a camaro with a 3.8 v6 you could bolt on a supercharger

omfg :puke: the words camaro and v6 were NEVER MEANT TO BE SAID IN THE SAME SENTENCE other than in the situation of 'my camaro spanked your v6'

plus camaros are rear wheel drive, rear wheel drive doesnt get along too good with snow

there is a white booneville ssei here monty i think its like 4 or 5 grand, very nice car looks in good shape, i dont know if its still here or not but last i saw it it was at spaulings, ill go check for you on monday after school

gotta remember i am a big guy. 6' a little over 300.

the reason i like my w-body is cuz of the roominess.

last car was an 89 skylark. hated it as it was too small for me. basically the same as an alero or GA in my opinion.

one friend has a 99 alero and another a 92 GA

do not care for either one. i smack my head evertime i get in and out of them due to crawling down to get into them.

yet a couple of others have f-bodies. one a 2000 firebird and the other a 95 z-28.

just not my thing.

i have not checked locally in person for cars. just the papers and a touch online.

mayb i should check into insurance prices before i fall for one i cannot afford. as my preference would be the S/C then the plain 3800.

then the 3.1 or 3100.

does the 3400 come in any w-bodies? as i have ridden in a GA with that and yes it was spunkier than i expected.

thanx for the input so far.

Monty

does the 3100 in the 97+ GP's strain at all or is it that much heavier than previous gens of GP's?

what are some differences between the 97+ GP's?

like the SE, GT and GTP

Monty

Oh if you're looking to come out cheap.. Rons Auto, out on 59 there, has a CLEAN '94 Grand Prix coupe with 60,000 on the clock. 4 grand is was he was asking last time I was there.

musthavemusik, the non supercharged ones are just find in ins.

As yall know, ive been looking for a car. I want the supercharger, but to much to fix if something does go wrong, and it DOES increase insurance.

W's are cheaper usu. to insure. Actually, as a matter of fact, Grand Am's usu. cost more than the same year Grand Prix. Talking to tom (superbuick here)....he actually said in many instances...its cheaper to insure a Ferari than his Firehawk. Why? Well, more younger people drive them.

In many cases, youngins today want small sporty cars. So insurance is higher on them.

The 3.8 without the SC is just fine. It doesnt have as much top end feel as my 3100, but still you can feel it is MUCH quicker.

I also wanted a GAGT. But....to me, when driving...my head was likea gainst the A pillar. OFf with my head if i wreak. THat, and it didnt really seem to have much get up and go off the line.

The 3.4 comes in many of the Montes if i remember correctly. I do know the Grand PRix SE comes with the 3100 i think though.

Lastly...id stay away from the Lesabre or Park Ave. Ive driven a park ave with the 3800 and it couldnt even spin a wheel. That and drove like a grannys car. If your geting a car that big, get a Aurora.

well cheap is relative here.

i know if i go with a 97+ GP then i will be spending more. i have seen them from 6k on up. depending on model and miles.

then the prev gen GP and last gen of cutty's have been from 3-6k.

95+ lumina and montes are on the list but not as high. and i have seen them from 3-7k

so depending on what i end up with is how cheap i will get by.

of course all depends on what kind of $$ i have at the time.

Monty

dont get a 3100, ull get bored with it like i have. I was thinkin of gettin a Park Ave Ultra, since they got the 3800S/C and there is a fairly large aftermarket for that engine. U could get it up to 300+hp, which would be pretty good, even though they r reletivley heavy cars. Or if you could find one with a reasonably price, get a STS, an Eldorado, or mabye an Olds Aurora. Just my 2 cents.

RWD is perfectly fine in the snow, with the proper adjustmenst, and/or driving style/skills

Sure, and 600lbs of weight in the trunk! Not worth it IMO.

odd, the T/A I drove last night had nothing in the back, and phat tires, and went through normal everyday stuff no probs, and plowed through a 3 foot drift into the guys driveway with no probs either...

try a camaro with a 3.8 v6 you could bolt on a supercharger

omfg :puke: the words camaro and v6 were NEVER MEANT TO BE SAID IN THE SAME SENTENCE other than in the situation of 'my camaro spanked your v6'

plus camaros are rear wheel drive, rear wheel drive doesnt get along too good with snow

I will agree with you on your first statement, if you buy an V6 F-body you will get laughed at constantly, trust me I am a former owner of a 99 LS1 Six-speed Camaro.

with respect to your 2nd statement, the Camaro that I had actually handled pretty damn good in the snow, especially compared to my 2001 Mustang Convertible.

FWIW: RWD cars are that horrible in the snow, my old Fieros handled better in the snow then a few of my FWD cars did...

Grand AM GT or Cavalier Z24

The Grand AM (2nd Gen) is with the 3.3 or 3100 and only auto

The Cavalier is either with the 3.1(auto or manual) 2nd Gen, or 3rd Gen 2.4L.

Both are great looking cars and the cavalier comes in convertible too

I havn't driven my Formuala in the snow much cause I have the Cutty for that but it dosn't do that bad. I'd say it has more to do with the driver then anything else, once you get used to the way they handle in bad weather it can be fun :D

I agree there should be no such thing as a F-Body without an 8, the only exeption being the 3rd gen turbo buick powered Trans Ams.